cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2011 failing on Exchange, SBS 2011 VM

Rob_Walker
Level 4

Have Backup Exec 2010 fully patched running in a Hyper-V parent (Server 2008 R2) backing a a VM SBS 2011.  Installed Agent for Windows Server, Hyper-V agent, Exchange Agent and Advanced File open Agent. 

Most time the backup job succeeds but failing lately with "

Backup- \\SERVER1.ct.local\Microsoft Information Store\Mailbox Database
V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified opti...

I have removed remote agents and reinstalled, rebooted everything.  Running just Exchange mailbox backup only never fails.  Have increaded pagefile on SBS 2011 to large, static sie.  Lots of RAM, 16GB.

I run an identical setup on SBS 2008 without a glitch.  I need this to be reliable.  Backing up too USB drives.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Whoa, hang on! SBS 2011 needs BE 2010 R3 to run...this can explain your intermittent issues.

Upgrade to BE 2010 R3 (free upgrade path from 2010 R1/R2) and try it again. But still leave AOFO off...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Rob_Walker
Level 4

Correction: Backup Exec 2010 R2

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you have the Exchange Management tools installed on the Backup Exec Media server ?

CraigV

Rob: Your first mistake is using AOFO with an Exchange backup. It is known to cause issues. Remove AOFO from the job and try again.

If you're backing up data and Exchange on the same job, try splitting the jobs off from each other...run Exchange separately from data.

if you don't know how, read the article below for some advice...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs...

Rob_Walker
Level 4

Thanks!  I have remove AOFO from the backup job and am running a test.  Failing that, I will try splitting the backup job. 

I am perplexed that this backup does not run with the same characteristics of the VM SBS 2008 server I recently completed for a customer.  Same server, RAM , RAID, Hyper-V, Backup Exec.  It must be the differences between SBS 2008 and SBS 2011.

Thanks,

CraigV

Whoa, hang on! SBS 2011 needs BE 2010 R3 to run...this can explain your intermittent issues.

Upgrade to BE 2010 R3 (free upgrade path from 2010 R1/R2) and try it again. But still leave AOFO off...

Rob_Walker
Level 4

How do I ugrade this?  LiveUpdate is all up to day and does not show R3 available

Thanks

CraigV

...you cannot upgrade to BE 2010 R3 through LiveUpdate.

Check the TN below...it describes how to download, and update to BE 2010 R3...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH159346&key=15047

You can use your current licenses, and it is a free upgrade too!

Rob_Walker
Level 4

CraigV, thanks for all your help.  R3 is installed and after a few SharePoint Server Farm glitches in SBS 2011, my backup worked without error.