cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Active Directory selection missing

IPG
Level 4

Hi All,

Just upgraded from BE2010 to BE2012 and am trying to go GRT of active directory on my domain controllers.  However when I go in to set up a new backup job, under the selections list only the hard drives & system state appear - no ADAM / AD LDS option.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what might be going wrong??  I have the AD option installed and have tried it using the domain administrator account.

Cheers,

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you need to backup AD, you just back up the system state of the DC.  There is no further selection required.  If you have installed ADRA, then you would be able to expand the system state of a DC during a restore and see the individual AD objects.  This is the way for all versions of BE.

If you have ADRA installed, check that you have the following setting.  Click on the BE button ---> Configuration and Settings ---> Job Defaults ---> Backup to Disk

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

If you have upgraded to BE 2012 is this SBS edition were BE 2012 SBS is installed as it has known issue with virtfile drive which is not installed. Due to which GRT of system state might be missing

Please go to command prompt and enter FLTMC on Media server & see if virtfile is listed. If it is not then which is the reason why GRT is not listed.

Also check this link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH184281

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you need to backup AD, you just back up the system state of the DC.  There is no further selection required.  If you have installed ADRA, then you would be able to expand the system state of a DC during a restore and see the individual AD objects.  This is the way for all versions of BE.

If you have ADRA installed, check that you have the following setting.  Click on the BE button ---> Configuration and Settings ---> Job Defaults ---> Backup to Disk

IPG
Level 4

Hi,

Don't have the SBS edition and the Virtfile is listed if I type FLTMC in :(

Thanks though!

IPG
Level 4

Hey pkh,

Good to know system state does encompass AD, but I am after the ability to restore individual objects as you mentioned.

My settings are as you mentioned:

But under my selection list for my domain controller, no AD appears - is this normal?

I ask this because for Exchange & SQL servers, the Exchange / SQL appears as a seperate selection so I would presume AD would do the same?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

But under my selection list for my domain controller, no AD appears - is this normal?

Yes that is normal as you will not see Individual components for system state in backup selection but will be able to see that in restore selection once you do GRT backup of system state

I ask this because for Exchange & SQL servers, the Exchange / SQL appears as a seperate selection so I would presume AD would do the same?

As Active directory is part of system state so when you backup system state on DC ,you willl be able to see individual restore selections

Thanks

IPG
Level 4

Makes sense - I wasn't aware AD didn't show up on the selection list.

Thanks to both yourself & pkh.