cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Agent Licensing

ramadori
Level 3

We have one Backup Exec 2012 Server in our infrastructure with 9 Agents for Windows installed.  This is an environment that I have taken over and there is little documentation at this point as far as the licensing is concerned.  After inventorying our servers it turns out that we have 14 servers running the BE Windows agent but I am not seeing any errors being generated on the BE server that we are overdeployed on agents.  How does the BE server handle and police the Windows agent licensing?  Is there a way to determine which of our servers are using the 9 installed licenses we have and which ones are not? Even though we have 9 licenses, only two of our 14 servers are actually being backed up by BE right now.  If we have the agent installed on 14 servers, then I would imagine that we are over-deployed by 5, but the BE server doesn't appear to be picking up on this.  My goal is to be compliant and either buy more licenses or uninstall the agent from the 5 servers that really aren't reporting into the BE server.  I just can't determine at this point which ones those are.  Would greatly appreciate anyone's assistance on this.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The agent licence is used when you backup the server on which it is installed. If you are backing up all 14 servers then you would get an error message saying that you have insufficient agent licences. To be compliant, you should either but more licences or uninstall some of the agents

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition, BE just checks the "how" many servers are being backed up at a time and now "which" ones.

SSR_7767
Level 4

You can install remote agent on any number of servers. The licensing is calculated by Backup Exec only when a backup is being attempted.

The number of remote agent licenses required should be the maximum number of Windows machines that would be backed up simultaeneously.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can install remote agent on any number of servers

How are you going to explain to the lawyers that you are not doing any backups on some of the servers that you have installed remote agent on them?  Isn't it better to install just the correct number of remote agents so that there would be no arguments as to whether you are in compliance or not.