cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Backup Exec Server crashes

HankC
Level 3

Just upgrade to BE2012 with the lastest SP3 and hot fix (from BE2010).  Backup Exec Server crashes from time to time, seems toward the end of the backup jobs.   This is the error:

Faulting application name: beserver.exe, version: 14.0.1798.1300, time stamp: 0x528...

Faulting module name: bemsdk.dll, version: 14.0.1798.1300, time stamp: 0x528....

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000000ad96b

Faulting process id: 0x12d8

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf2f1854a369bc

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bemsdk.dll

Report Id: ef6aeab8-9b0b-11e3-9bb4-3cd92bef6f80

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HankC
Level 3

Status update:

Tech support collected bunch of log files but was unable to identify the root cause.   I have tried all sort of un-install/re-install tricks, but nothing worked.  I took the ultimate solution by rebuid the server from scratch (Windows 2008,  BE2012...etc).  The VM backups work now.   Go figure....   sad  I took a major hit by upgrading to BE2012. 

My tape library is HP MSL4048 G3. Few things I learned from this incident.  Some of the details you may never pay attention until you got problems,

* The LTO 5 driver was from HP (if you update the firmware and used HP software),  For example,  driver date 2/11/2013, version 1.0.7.1.    BE2012 will change the driver provider to Symantec, 2/12/2008, 5.1.37.0,   Do not panic,  The most recent HP driver might not work with BE2012,  the Symantec driver looks old but as long as it works I'm fine with it.

* The robot of the tape library, aka Medium changer device,  uses the HP driver too.  The default driver name is "HP MSL G3 series library".  3/8/2013, driver version 3.0.0.0.   You should change this to "Unknonw medium changer".   Driver provider Microsoft, 6/21/2006, version 6.1.7601.17514.  The actual driver file is "Windows\system32\Drivers\tpfilter.sys".  The detail of this driver states version 42.0.7216 issued by Symantec.

BE prefer uses its own driver instead of the new ones released by HW vendor.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can try the following:

1. If running an AV on the media server, check and see if it isn't perhaps blocking beserver.exe from running, and if so, exclude all the BE services from active scanning.

2. Run a repair of BE 2012 using Add/Remove Programs.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Add/Remove Program and do a repair of BE.

HankC
Level 3

Tried two things:

* Disabled Anti-virus software (Symantec endpoint)

* Performed repair install and BE2012 was working (for a little while)

OS level backup for remote Windows client runs successfully.  But thebackup on the first ESX host (vSphere 5.1) will bring down the BE server - the backup completed, then BE server crashed with the same error and I could not manaually bring it up.   This seems to be a pattern (ESX backup crashes BE2012) and now I'm down.again.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If there are any error messages in the Windows Eventlog related to the crash, post them

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

OK, so the repair I suggested doesn't work.

Is the media server a VM (strictly not supported by Symantec) or a physical server?

If a VM it might explain why BE stops in some way...

Thanks!

HankC
Level 3

This is physical server hooked up with a tape library (nothing fancy). 

Besides the error posted above,  there is another error associate with it:

Application: beserver.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 0000000072DCD96B Stack:

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Go to Add/Remove Programs, uninstall .Net framework 4.0 and then repair BE. This will reinstall .Net

fcremer
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I've the same problem.

I've be2012SP3 with hotfix after upgrade from be2010.

have you find a solution for this problem?

Kind regards

HankC
Level 3

Status update:

Tech support collected bunch of log files but was unable to identify the root cause.   I have tried all sort of un-install/re-install tricks, but nothing worked.  I took the ultimate solution by rebuid the server from scratch (Windows 2008,  BE2012...etc).  The VM backups work now.   Go figure....   sad  I took a major hit by upgrading to BE2012. 

My tape library is HP MSL4048 G3. Few things I learned from this incident.  Some of the details you may never pay attention until you got problems,

* The LTO 5 driver was from HP (if you update the firmware and used HP software),  For example,  driver date 2/11/2013, version 1.0.7.1.    BE2012 will change the driver provider to Symantec, 2/12/2008, 5.1.37.0,   Do not panic,  The most recent HP driver might not work with BE2012,  the Symantec driver looks old but as long as it works I'm fine with it.

* The robot of the tape library, aka Medium changer device,  uses the HP driver too.  The default driver name is "HP MSL G3 series library".  3/8/2013, driver version 3.0.0.0.   You should change this to "Unknonw medium changer".   Driver provider Microsoft, 6/21/2006, version 6.1.7601.17514.  The actual driver file is "Windows\system32\Drivers\tpfilter.sys".  The detail of this driver states version 42.0.7216 issued by Symantec.

BE prefer uses its own driver instead of the new ones released by HW vendor.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The tape drives are tested for the HCL using Symantec drivers