cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 CASO Questions ?

AMDGunni
Level 2

Hello,

Is there a configuration to backup or restore, if the CASO-Server is not online or failing ?
Can i run backup / restore from a managed media server without CASO  is online ?

thanks for your answers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Yes you can...but you need to edit the registry first on the MMS. Check the steps below:

* regedit.exe --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Symantec --> Backup Exec and
* look for a key called Database Server.
* Change the server name in there from your CASO to the MMS.
* Restart the MMS services thereafter.

Backup the registry BEFORE doing so!

You can only do a restore in a CASO environment if you have distributed the job/catalog information on the MMS. If you centralise and the CASO goes down, your MMS dies immediately, requiring the manual steps above. I've never tried the replicated scenario (always used the distributed option due to slow WAN links). For me, distributed was the best option.

The other option is to cluster your CASO if this was at all possible which would offer you a better level of protection.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If the backup is done to a device which is connected to Managed Server even if the CASO is not online you can do a restore.

CASO is only for job deligation from a centralized location

If you dont see catalogs for the restore , run a catalog job on the media (tape/disk)

Catalogs can be save on 

Managed Server and CASO (replicated)

CASO (centralized)

party on CASO and partly on Managed Server(distributed)

You will not see the data for restore in case a CASO goes down and the catalog configuration is Centralized in that case a manual catalog is needed

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Yes you can...but you need to edit the registry first on the MMS. Check the steps below:

* regedit.exe --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Symantec --> Backup Exec and
* look for a key called Database Server.
* Change the server name in there from your CASO to the MMS.
* Restart the MMS services thereafter.

Backup the registry BEFORE doing so!

You can only do a restore in a CASO environment if you have distributed the job/catalog information on the MMS. If you centralise and the CASO goes down, your MMS dies immediately, requiring the manual steps above. I've never tried the replicated scenario (always used the distributed option due to slow WAN links). For me, distributed was the best option.

The other option is to cluster your CASO if this was at all possible which would offer you a better level of protection.

Thanks!

lmosla
Level 6

Hello,  Here is a workaround to do a restore to the MMS if the CASO server is down.

How to remove the Managed Backup Exec Server(MBES / MMS) option when communications have been lost t....