cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Cataloging Error

elmartino
Level 2

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem that I've had no luck with so far. Looking for any input:

Backup Exec 2012 (14.0 1798.1244)

Windows Server 2008 SP1

I perform a inventory and catalog on a set of tapes and the job fails with Error code : E00084B7

Null backupset.  Possible reason:

Cataloging SW Compressed ArcServe Tape. Backupexec does not support this operation

When launching the restore wizard I can see data from the backup set but not past a certain point. That point has a red "x" located on it. When I navigate down the tree it ends at a user directory which actually contains a bunch of older Backup Exec catalogs and other files.. Most of the data is catalogued but there is still a lot more past this directory that is not being catalogued and hence can't be selected for restore. 

We don't use anything Arcserve related. A couple of questions:

1. Can you exclude certain data from beinf cataloged on the tape?

2. Is the directory in question with the red X stopping the Catalog Operation?

I also ran a verify on the contents of that directory located on the tape and recieved:

Difference encountered in file data.

The file \hardata\BH\Users\mreid\BH-10H4M12\Backup Set 2014-10-17 125547\Backup Files 2014-10-17 125547\Backup files 164.zip is different.

Any insight would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It could be that the tape is damaged

elmartino
Level 2

I considered that but I recieve the same error message and symptoms when trying to catalog other tape media as well. 

There was a USB drive with a one time backup of the same data and that did not have any errors. I'm zoning in on the fact that this might be tape or tape drive related.

The actual backup jobs are reporting as completed successfully with no errors, Full backups are selected but I'n not seeing all the data in the restore wizard for that backup set...I'm missing everythign past this "red x" folder.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility against the tape drive. Make sure that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand and select the write test