cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Convert to Virtual - Failed to create the metadata file on the remote server.

evan8ster
Level 2

After writing nearly 32 GB of data to the remote Hyper-V Manager / server the Backup Exec 2012 B2V Job fails with the following:

"Convert EKIDOMAIN1 to Virtual 00001 -- The job failed with the following error: Failed to create the metadata file on the remote server."

The error code generated is v-79-57344-42015

Cause: The cause may be permissions related if the Media Server is in a domain, and the Hyper-V server in a workgroup.

Solution: Join the Hyper-V server to the domain if possible.

The problem is that both servers ARE already in the same Domain and writing 32GB of data to the remote servers already proves that BE2012 has the necessary permissions, plus I checked.

FOUND BELOW SOLUTION HERE (http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/convert-vhd-backup-exec-2012) BUT I DON'T WANT HYPER-V ON MY BACKUP SERVER. I WANT IT STORED ON MY PRODUCTION SERVERS HYPER-V MANAGER WHERE THE HARDWARE IS ABLE TO RUN MULTIPLE VM'S...

"BEFORE
Backup Exec Server was backing up a remote server to a HyperV-Server that was also remote.

AFTER
Installed Hyper-V on the backup exec server and did a backup of the remote server to the hyper-v on that one. Worked successfully."

Can anyone please help?

Thanks,
E

3 REPLIES 3

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

Does the user with which Backup Exec services are running have sufficient rights on the HyperV server? Can you try adding that user in the local admin group of the HyperV server, if the user account is not a domain admim that is.

Also what is the OS that you are trying to convert and what is the size of the server you trying to convert, is it near to 32 GB that is written after which the job fails?

Thanks,

evan8ster
Level 2

Thanks for your reply Sameer, Yes the server is part of a domain and the user is the domain admin.

The job I am trying to convert to virtual is a domain controller. The server is about 30GB and I've tried converting multiple full backups of that server (with ALL components selected) to virtual and they all fail after writing 27.6 GB.

Thanks,

Evan

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

From the error message it appears to me that it is failing to create/register the VM in HyperV Manager due to insufficent rights on HyperV server. But as you mentioned above the user with which BE services are running is a domain admin and the HyperV server is also in the same domain then there should not be any access issue.

What is the version of Windows that is running HyperV? If Windows 2008 and above try to disable UAC if it is ON and rerun the conversion job. Also can you check, with the same user logged into the HyperV server can this user create a VM in HyperV manager at the same storage location as BE is trying to create in conversion job.

Thanks,