cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Dedup folders steps creation.

EvaultProfessio
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Where can I find the steps to use the "Dedpulication" feature for Backup Exec 2012? I looked at the "Admin" guide bue I cannot seem to find where this is detailed clearly.

Thanks for your help!

D.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Admin guide pg 749 onwards would list details about the DeDupe option in this order -

About the Dedupe option...requirements..installing the option...creating the Dedupe folder...backup/restore etc...

What sort of info are you looking for explicitly ?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6

Admin guide pg 749 onwards would list details about the DeDupe option in this order -

About the Dedupe option...requirements..installing the option...creating the Dedupe folder...backup/restore etc...

What sort of info are you looking for explicitly ?

Sush---
Level 6

You may also want to take a look at these technotes (specially the second one):

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74446 : Best practices for Backup Exec 2012 Deduplication Option

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH142668 : Getting the Most Out of the Deduplication Option and Deduplication Storage Folders

Thanks,

-Sush...

EvaultProfessio
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I had reviewed those documents already, but found that it was a mistake at my end. The solution I needed to implement was to rerun the installation software again and include the "Deduplication" feature. :'(

I had missed it during the first install and expected to see an option when viewing the application to enabel it.

I do have an additional requirement but not sure if I need to open a new post. Please let me know what you think:

* Can Backup Exec use NetApp storage as a deduplication storage location to dedup data? BU 2010 needed (Direct Attached Storage) but wondering if 2012 is more flexible now.

* Also, if BU 2012 can be used to deduplicate data and the data its backing up is stored on a NetApp filer. Is it best to use BU Exec 2012 to deduplicate the data or use NetApp deduplication functionality instead.

* Do you have BU 2012 deduplication rates, or know where it can be found?

Please advise and thanks for your help!

D.