cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Deduplication Duplicate To Tape Query

LozBC
Level 4

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up Backup Exec jobs and I wonder about the duplication options that are available...

What I want to do is this:

Friday - Full Backup to deduplication store overnight

Saturday-Thursday Differential Backup to deduplication store overnight

Now in the day I want to duplicate each of these jobs to tape...

Looking at the options I believe I cannot find how to do this...

If under the Duplication stage I select "According to schedule" I have the following options:

• All Backups
  • Most recent Full
  • Selected backups (Full and Differential as options)

I am assuming that if I select All Backups it will literally attempt every day to duplicate all backups it has for each server which is not what I want...

Most recent Full looks like the right option but there is not the option of Most recent Differential...

Selected backups looks like it will attempt to duplicate all of either the Full or Differentials or both every day so that does not look like the right answer either...

Alternatively it is Duplicate data immediately after source task completes (Where both Full and Differential can be options). This option does seem to only select the most recent Full or Differential (If I add in another stage after the backup job for the Differential one...) the issue I have with this is doing this like this is going to affect the concurrency of backup jobs to the deduplication store and also the speed of the backups because data is going to be simulatenously read for the duplication to tape...

Is this simply not possible?

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

All backups is all backups in the job definition that have not already been duplicated

So a sequence of

1) Full then Dupliocate

2) Diff then Duplicate

3) Diff then Duplicate

would duplicate the full in step1, only the 1st diff in step 2 and only the 2nd diff in step 3. However a sequence of

1) Full

2) Diff

3) Diff then duplicate

would duplicate the full and both diffs when the duplicate runs.

Also the selected backups option also duplicate back to last sucessful duplicate in the same way.

Note: Missing or failing a duplicate job can cause problems if when the duplicate finally tries to backup the early data in the inistial job sequence, that backup set it has already expired (or been overwritten depending on BE version) BE 2014 should have en enhancement to avoid this scenario.