cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Deduplication option

access
Level 4

Hi,

I got a backup exec 2012 media server  protecting few server running Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V.

How does symantec license the deduplication option?

Do i need to purchase one (1) deduplication option or do I need to buy the option for each server protected by Symantec BE 2012 ?

-------------------

I need to replicate my backups to a second site. On my second site I plan to deploy a second BE 2012 media server.

What do I need ? A bit confused on the licensing on replication.

-------------------

I have a Dell EQL PS4100xv, is there anyway to backup the data via iSCSI network directly to my backup server or tape drive, rather than passing through the normal LAN.

For Netbackup, I'm sure this possible with Enterprise client (includes SAN client) but for backup exec 2012, is this even possible?

Thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Paul,

If I don't need application GRT.

Will I still be able to backup my VMs (running SQL, exchange, AD & etc) with only using agent for VMware and Hyper-V?

--> YES. If you don't require Application GRT even then you will be able to backup the VMs (running SQL, exchange, AD & etc) with only using agent for VMware and Hyper-V.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

access
Level 4

Hi,

Forgot to ask this question.

Servers running Windows 2008 R2 with Hyper-V, requires agent for VMWare and Hyper-V.

Do or do I need agent for applications and database in order to backup and restore those VMs?

As I understand this is only required if I need GPT restore.

Thanks,

Paul

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Paul,

Do i need to purchase one (1) deduplication option or do I need to buy the option for each server protected by Symantec BE 2012 ?

--> Backup Exec Deduplication licensing is ONE Dedupe License per media server. So it does not depend on the number of servers you are protecting but just One Media server.

============================================================================

I need to replicate my backups to a second site. On my second site I plan to deploy a second BE 2012 media server.

What do I need ? A bit confused on the licensing on replication.

--> You will require another Dedupe license here for the second Media server which is on the second site.

============================================================================

Servers running Windows 2008 R2 with Hyper-V, requires agent for VMWare and Hyper-V.

Do or do I need agent for applications and database in order to backup and restore those VMs?

As I understand this is only required if I need GPT restore.

--> You just need to buy the Agent for VMWare and Hyper-V to protect the VMs on the Hyper-V host. If you have any VMs like Exchange, AD, Sharepoint or SQL and if you want to perform Application GRT then you will have to buy the Agent for applications and database license for each application which you want to protect.

Thanks,

-Sush...

access
Level 4

Hi Sush...

Thanks for the answer.

Will I still be able to backup my VMs (running SQL, exchange, AD & etc) with only using agent for VMware and Hyper-V?

Thanks,

Paul

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Paul,

--> YES. If you don't require Application GRT even then you will be able to backup the VMs (running SQL, exchange, AD & etc) with only using agent for VMware and Hyper-V.

Thanks,

-Sush...