cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Deduplication

outlawbamse
Level 3

Hello all.

This is actually a follow up on my post https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/installing-hotfix-201596-broke-my-system

This case, is still not solved and I guess it has long ago be given up by Symantec support. They are now not responding to any of my mails and I guess its the "Symantech way" of dealing with customers. Dont respond and the problem will go away by itself. Since Symantec does not care much and I'm stuck with Backup Exec 2012 at least for a while longer I've tried a different approach. Installing from scratch on new servers and moving dedup jobs over to the new servers.

I've installed a new CASO server and added the deduplication option following the admin guide. When it comes to the deduplication storage I have read and configured my storage as mendtioned in the "Best practices for Backup Exec 2012 Deduplication Option".

So far so good. But I am experiencing plenty problems even with a clean install. For the new servers, I configured a dedup storage and a plain disk storage. Jobs going to the disk storage seems to work fine. Jobs going to the dedup storage is a whole different story. I can sucessfully run 3-4 jobs before BE2012 reports: 

"Robotic library destination element full error

The robotic library has reported a destination element full error condition. This i typically caused by trying to mount media into a drive that already contains media. The drive state has been set to offline. Please attend to this condition."

All jobs in queue to the dedup storage will then fail with the error message:

"The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive not available"

The last error message make sense since BE have put my Tape robot? offline.

Under the Storage tab the dedup storage is still online, however any jobs I try to launch (such as a verify job for instance) is queued with the message "Device paused"

I do not have any tape robots attached to this server.

A reboot solves the problem, at least for a short period of time.

BE2012 also throws an additional error message now and then while running backups and its about to load a new media from the Deduplication storage:

Media '' is overwrite protected.

The media in drive 'Deduplication disk storage 0002:1' is currently allocated and is not available for overwrite operations.

Media Set: Retired Media
Overwrite Protection Until: Infinite - Don't Allow Overwrite.
Appendable until: Not Appendable

Have anyone else seen this kind of behaviour wih BE2012?

I'm running BE2012 SP3 + hotfixes.
3 REPLIES 3

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello, I apologize for the previous issue faced by you. If you could DM me the case number in reference to your issue then I could look into it and investigate further as to why you weren't contacted on time. 

Now that you have a new setup altogether, based on your scenario, I see that you are using the Deduplication option with CAS/MMS setup. I wanted to know if the jobs aer targetted towards a Deduplication folder on the CAS or MMS? Whatever it may be, you need to go the Backup Option of those jobs and from the 'Storage' section, under 'Options for all backup jobs in this definition:' > 'Backup Exec server or Backup Exec server pool:' select the server (CAS or MMS) where the jobs are targetted to. 

Please restart all the Backup Exec Services(including the Deduplication folder) once this is done and then run the backup jobs. 

outlawbamse
Level 3

I'm currently collecting info to open a support case for this issue. I know I need a lot of information to get a decent start on my case. 

@sidd3009: All my jobs are targeted to the BE server hosting the dedupstorage. Even tho BE defaults to "any server" I know this does not work. But thanks for the tip anyway.

I also sent you a DM with my unsolved case.

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You'd need to enable debugging by referring to the following article and collect the debug output for the Deduplication folder: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126170 I'll be referring to the old case to get some details out of it and DM you.