cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Disk Selection

tcube
Level 3

Good Aftenroon,

I have a slight issue with my current Backup Exec 2012 configuration on a Windows 2008 R2 server. 

I currently have 3 drives hooked up and configured for backups, Drives A-B all of which are 2TB in size. I have them setup into a drive pool and then I have all my backups (3 total for a total size of 1.9TB) pointing to the drive pool.

The Problem: When Drive A has, say, 500GB left. Backup Job 1 kicks off, chooses that drive. An hour later, the 2nd backup kicks off, also chooses that drive, and then the 3rd. Resulting in 1 drive becoming full and the last 2 backups sit there trying to run forever because of the "Loading Media" error when the drive fills up.

The Question: How can I program Backup Exec so that it will look at the drives in the drive pool and be able to determine which drive has enough space for the backup, and then run said backup on the drive it chooses? For Example, Drive A has hit its "Warning" Threshold yet the backups still presist to choose that drive, most likely because it is the first drive in the device pool.

Thanks,

Trey

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6

This feature I don't think is in BackupExec, it is however in NetBackup, which is Symantec's Enterprise backup product.

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What you want is not available in BE.  Currently, BE will use the first available device in a device pool.  I believe one of the Symantec engineers said that he is requesting what you want as a new feature for BE.  Whether it will get picked up, is unknown.

You can create this as an Idea in the Ideas section.  If enough users vote for this feature, then it might get picked up in some future release of BE.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I took choosing disk based on free space within a pool as a secondary comment against a defect where pools in BE 2012 don't load balance properly (which they did in 2010 R3)

Subject to change but both the fix for the load balancing to put back round robin choice of disk and the ability to choose disk with most free space should be part of the next complete release of Backup Exec.

The defect part was documented here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH194532

4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6

This feature I don't think is in BackupExec, it is however in NetBackup, which is Symantec's Enterprise backup product.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What you want is not available in BE.  Currently, BE will use the first available device in a device pool.  I believe one of the Symantec engineers said that he is requesting what you want as a new feature for BE.  Whether it will get picked up, is unknown.

You can create this as an Idea in the Ideas section.  If enough users vote for this feature, then it might get picked up in some future release of BE.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I took choosing disk based on free space within a pool as a secondary comment against a defect where pools in BE 2012 don't load balance properly (which they did in 2010 R3)

Subject to change but both the fix for the load balancing to put back round robin choice of disk and the ability to choose disk with most free space should be part of the next complete release of Backup Exec.

The defect part was documented here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH194532

GuiA
Level 3

Hi

i 've exactly the same issue, i have 4 15To disks, all in the default pool.

Everytime the first is choosen until his full (resulting of failed backup due to not enough free space) while there is plenty of free space on the others disks.

Did you know if the fix should be in the next service pack or BE2013 ... ? Any dates ? it's very binding