cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Enterprise Vault SLOW

Primisuimotori
Level 3

Hi guys,

before to buy backup exec 2012 i'm testing to backup out enterprise vault directory. ( sp1 of BE is installed )

At the moment the EV directory is about 140GB .

when i start a backup , the speed is 370- 380 MB / min . It's terrible slow ? or not ?

one full backup complete in 7 - 8 hours....lot's of time for me.

i have tried to install Backup exec on fisical of VM but the speed is the same.

Any help ?? Let me know.

Best Regards.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Are you backing up locally, or to some other type of storage?

Thanks!

Primisuimotori
Level 3

The backup is done localy.

Vault server is a Virtual Machine with 2008 r2 installed.

the last backup trial that i have done is with Backup Exec on VM too on different storage. ISCSI 1GB connected.

Thanks

ps : atm the network is used for 4%

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...Ideally you're looking at running the media server as a physical server. If you can do that, check to see what you can get.

That speed might be about right though. You should also check that your NICs and switch ports are hard-coded to the fastest speed available that the NICs can handle...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Symantec noticed that enabling check point restart feature in the backup job causing some problems w.r.t backup speeds while backingup to tape or disk. See if that is the case here....

SaurabhK_BE
Level 3
Employee

Sometimes, backups of Enterprise Vault run slow when partitions are included in backup selection.

Enterprise Vault (EV) stores data as many small files in EV partitions. The backup of multiple small files is slower than a backup of a single larger file of the same byte count.

There is a setting in Enterprise Vault that makes EV move the stored data from the small files into a collection CAB file. If CAB files are used, the backup will run faster as the data is now in a single larger file vs. hundreds of small files. You will have to enable this collection setting from EV Admin Console to make EV use collection CAB files.

Please see the following link for the same, it might help in this case:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH141917