cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Exchange Agent on SBS2011

revenge_of_the_
Level 4

Hi All

Can someone please confirm that if I have the Exchange agent (Backup Exec 2012 SBS Edition) installed I DO NOT select the "Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\ path for a backup?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can, but you would have files like *.edb and *.stm skipped with BE's AFE (Active File Exclusion). Doing so will only give you every other file.

With the Exchange agent installed you can select the Information Store on the server, which will give you the ability to do GRT-based backups/restores.

For creating a proper DR-type backup of the Exchange server, you'd need the server's System State and anything else that Microsoft require you to select in a backup in order to do a full Exchange restore.

Me personally...I only ever selected the Information Store and System State and rebuilt an Exchange server this way. But, if you want a proper idea, check out MS TNs around what else, besides the Information Store, needs to be added...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If  you just backup everything on the SBS server (one click in the selections) then you will have everything without speaking to Microsoft as it will automatically select drives, information stores SQL database, Sharepoint stuff etc.

We deliberately exclude the EDB files (as well as a load of other files) with Active File Exclusions because  they are not needed for restore (Windows Swap file for example) or because they are backed up by a different part of the job (the EDB files for instance are backed up as the Information Store and NOT via the file system part of the selections, also you would have to stop the Exchange services if you were trying to backup these files as files anyway)

Note: when you actually come to do the DR restore it is a multi-step process becasue you have to have application services up and running in order to restore the application data, so first step is get back the operating system, 2nd step is recover Exchange, SQL and Shepoint data)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi,

You can, but you would have files like *.edb and *.stm skipped with BE's AFE (Active File Exclusion). Doing so will only give you every other file.

With the Exchange agent installed you can select the Information Store on the server, which will give you the ability to do GRT-based backups/restores.

For creating a proper DR-type backup of the Exchange server, you'd need the server's System State and anything else that Microsoft require you to select in a backup in order to do a full Exchange restore.

Me personally...I only ever selected the Information Store and System State and rebuilt an Exchange server this way. But, if you want a proper idea, check out MS TNs around what else, besides the Information Store, needs to be added...

Thanks!

Ian_Turner
Level 2

>>For creating a proper DR-type backup of the Exchange server, you'd need the server's System State and anything else that Microsoft require you to select in a backup in order to do a full Exchange restore.<<

Having used earlier versions of BE with SBS2013 and earlier, I am now evaluating whether to go with BackupExec 2012 for use with SBS2011.

I have to say that what I have read so far is pretty discouraging - in the marketing Symantec suggest BE gives you simple disaster recovery... yet you say that effectively I have to go off and check what Microsoft 'require' in order to do a full Exchange Restore.

Frankly, if I am forking out for a backup solution in addition to SBS' own integrated solution, I want it to be fairly intuitive and controlled from the BE end.  From what you say - and please correct me if I am wrong - that is far from the case.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If  you just backup everything on the SBS server (one click in the selections) then you will have everything without speaking to Microsoft as it will automatically select drives, information stores SQL database, Sharepoint stuff etc.

We deliberately exclude the EDB files (as well as a load of other files) with Active File Exclusions because  they are not needed for restore (Windows Swap file for example) or because they are backed up by a different part of the job (the EDB files for instance are backed up as the Information Store and NOT via the file system part of the selections, also you would have to stop the Exchange services if you were trying to backup these files as files anyway)

Note: when you actually come to do the DR restore it is a multi-step process becasue you have to have application services up and running in order to restore the application data, so first step is get back the operating system, 2nd step is recover Exchange, SQL and Shepoint data)

Ian_Turner
Level 2

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the very swift response - that was very clear and reassuring.

Good that Symantec make the evaluation process vey easy - I'll keep schtum until I have actually tried the product and have real world questions to answer.

Cheers

revenge_of_the_
Level 4

So I DO select "Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox" AND EVERYTHING ELSE and let Backup Exec worry about what to include or not?

CraigV

If you want a backup of everything, then yes. You might get exceptions in the job when it skips the Exchange flat files.

Thanks!