cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Failure on System State Backup

RescueMe
Level 3

Hoping someone can provide some insight into this issue.  When I try to backup the System State on a client's SBS 2011 server, the backup fails with the following error message:

BackupV-79-57344-850 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot technology error (0xE0000352): The specified volume does not exist. Recreate the volume, and then try the job again.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

I have looked at the Windows Event Viewer and do not see anything of significance.  I came across the following maybe related Microsoft Support article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968247

But, I do not see any services with an invalid path specified.  I'm stumped.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Perfect!  The failure appears to be occurring due to an inaccessible volume path being reported by the System State System Files VSS Writer.  Specifically, the following: 'g:\program files\intuit\quickbooks 2012\qbdbmgrn.exe'.  Please search and collect the Windows Services Key information to determine if this is a 3rd party Windows Services being reported by the System Files VSS Writer.  We can discuss workaround and solution options when it is determined the origin of the entry.  Thank you.

Search and collect the Windows Services Registry Key by executing the following command:

(21) REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /f "qbdbmgrn.exe" /s

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Carlos_Quiroga
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Run vssadmin list writers to see if the writers are in a failed or error state and if so, reboot.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Also have a looka t this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125998

RescueMe
Level 3

Carlos,

When I run "vssadmin list writers", I see that the ASR Writer returns a Last error of "Timed Out:"

Writer name: 'ASR Writer'
   Writer Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
   Writer Instance Id: {1345b577-7a7e-4d03-8518-f60b29ee40f6}
   State: [7] Failed
   Last error: Timed out

I take it this is the source of the error.  Using this information, I came across the following article on Symantec's website that explained how to re-register the volume shadow copy service components:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

After following the instructions at the link above, many of the writers that were previously output from "vssadmin list writers" were missing, but the 'ASR Writer" now had a state of "Stable."  I tried to backup the system state, and success, it worked!

However, the jubilation was short lived--after rebooting the server, the 'ASR Writer' state returned to "Failed."  Once again, I can no longer backup the system state.  Needless to say, this is an extremely frustrating situation.

What could be the cause of the ASR Writer's failed state?

Thanks.

RescueMe
Level 3

Kiran,

I am unable to view the link specified.  It just takes me to a generic Symantec page.

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Hi.  When able, please collect the following initial diagnostic information and question answers.  Please attach this information to the post for review.  Thank you.

(1)  C:\>VSSADMIN LIST VOLUMES

(2)  C:\>VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS

(3)  C:\>VSSADMIN LIST PROVIDERS

(4)  C:\>VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWS

(5)  C:\>VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWSTORAGE

(6)  C:\>BCDEDIT /enum active

(7)  C:\>MOUNTVOL

(8)  C:\>VER

(9)  C:\>REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\control\hivelist" /s

(10)  Backup Exec backup job log for the failing System State backup.

(11)  Question: Physical Machine or Virtual Machine?

(12)  Question: Media Server backing up a Remote System?  Or Media Server backing up itself?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

But it's working for me... Link

RescueMe
Level 3

The requested output is attached.  I recently cleared the job log, but I will update this post with the exact error as soon as our client puts their tape in the tape drive this morning.

As for questions 11 and 12, this is a physical machine running Small Business Server 2011.  The backup job is backing up local files only.

As you can see from the attached output, the "ASR Writer" has a state of failed:

Writer name: 'ASR Writer'
   Writer Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
   Writer Instance Id: {1345b577-7a7e-4d03-8518-f60b29ee40f6}
   State: [7] Failed
   Last error: Timed out

RescueMe
Level 3

Here are the errors from the job log:

Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe0000352 - The specified volume does not exist. Recreate the volume, and then try the job again. Final error category: Resource Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-850

V-79-57344-850 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Snapshot technology...Snapshot technology error (0xE0000352): The specified volume does not exist. Recreate the volume, an...Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Hi.  Thank you for all of the information thus far.  Unfortunately, it is still unclear at the moment as to what is causing the backup failure.  The current theory is that the VSS ASR Writer is reporting unexpected backup information.  The most effective way to proceed with the investigation is to collect Backup Exec Engine debug information for the failing backup job and to collect the VSS Writer metadata files for further review.  When able, please review and perform the procedures listed below.  Thank you.

Collect the Backup Exec Engine debug information using the Backup Exec Debug Monitor…

(13) Enable the Backup Exec Debug Monitor, by either...

(a) Executing the SGMON.EXE process from within the Backup Exec installation directory.  Example: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Sgmon.exe.   -OR-

(b) Clicking the Backup Exec icon near the top left corner of application window (hotkey: Alt-a) and select ‘Technical Support’ and then click ‘Collect debug output’.

(14) Select ‘Job Engine, RAWS, Agent Browser’ from the ‘Capture’ section (Alt-j).

(15) Select ‘Capture to file’ from the ‘Capture to file:’ section (Alt-u).

(16) Run the backup job for the affected server (WIN2K11) that is failing with error:  0xE0000352 - The specified volume does not exist. Recreate the volume, and then try the job again. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

(17) Save the debug log output(s)  (Alt-n).

(18) Attach the zipped debug log file to this Post.

Collect the VSS Writer metadata files…

(19) The VSS Writer metadata files (*.xml) located on the affected server (WIN2K11) in Backup Exec logs directory.  For example:  ‘c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\logs\{BE000CBE-11FE-4426-9C58-531AA6355FC4} - ASR Writer.xml’.

(20) Attach the zipped files to this Post.

_Bugs_
Level 5

I don`t think that the problem is vss related. We have the same problem with one of our servers and it is the ASR writer too that has errors. Just after a reboot are there no errors and the backup still crash with the mentioned error message.

I was able to make one backup from the machine after deleting a dynamic volume - a day after i got the same problem again. All i had changed was to assign a new drive letter to two volumes (basic ones).

On the other hand we have another server with ASR writer error which works just fine, every job quits green.

@ Kiran Bandi: The Link doesn`t work for me either, here is the text:

Problem

System State backup fails with "0xe0000352 - The specified volume does not exist. Recreate the volume, and then try the job again."

Error

Final error: 0xe0000352 - The specified volume does not exist. Recreate the volume, and then try the job again.

& following exception is seen "WARNING: "System?State\System Files\System Files" is a corrupt file.  This file cannot verify"

Cause

This error may come up if the server has restricted any access to files under System State

To troubleshoot the issue, try to run the backup using Windows built in NTBackup utility. 

Solution

• Run Ntbackup to backup system state for Windows 2003 . 
  • For Windows server 2008, run Wbadmin from the command prompt.

Note:- If the Ntbackup / Wbadmin Fails, Contact Microsoft for further troubleshooting.

There is no solution it just says "It is not our problem, call microsoft"

Thank you but i can do without that.

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Hi,  If able, let’s investigate your issue as well since it may prove to be the same or related.  When able, please provide all of the requested diagnostic information (1 to 20) for detailed review.  Keep in mind that System State backups and restore exclusively use VSS and that is why the current theory is that there is some unexpected VSS System State Writer discovery information causing the issue.  Also, as you have mentioned, since volume drive letter mount points were modified this would most likely be the cause of your issue.  Meaning, that a VSS System State Writer is still reporting the historical volume drive letter as a data path location, hence, the appropriate 0xe0000352 error.  Thank you.

_Bugs_
Level 5

Output and Log attached

11:> Physical System

12:> Remote Server

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Since the affected system is a remote server (INTEGRATOR), please ensure that all diagnostics are collected from the remote server (INTEGRATOR).  For the debug procedure, (13)(a) will need to be performed on the remote server ((INTEGRATOR).  Thank you.

_Bugs_
Level 5

Here it is

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Thank you for providing all of the diagnostic information so quickly!

For your issue, SYSVOL appears to be mis-configured.  SYSVOL is reporting two volume path locations:  ‘e:\windows\sysvol\*’ and ‘f:\windows\sysvol\*’.  SYSVOL typically only reports one volume path location and in this scenario the ‘f:’ volume is currently not valid on the server.  As suspected, this issue seems to originate from the volume drive letter assignments that were performed.

Use the MMC DFS Management utility (dfsmgmt.msc) to review the SYSVOL configuration.  If the SYSVOL Replication Group is not present, then manually add the existing group using the ‘Add Replication Groups to Display..’ from the ‘Action’ menu.  Also, review the reported volume path locations using Windows Explorer (explorer.exe).

Hope this proves helpful.  Please let us know the outcome of your review.  Thank you.

RescueMe
Level 3

The requested files are attached.

Thanks!

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

Thanks for the diagnostic information.  The debug log (WIN2K11-SGMon.zip) is exactly what I need but appears to end abruptly: ‘BEREMOTE: [07/03/12 14:34:18] [26424]     2012-07-03T14:34:00.293 [fsys\shadow]…’.   Please review the original and provided debug log.  I will continue to review the information I have but ultimately a complete debug log is essential.  Please see what you can do to provide a full debug log.  Thank you.

_Bugs_
Level 5

The Replication Group is present and works fine. There was in fact a sysvol folder under volume f:\ but that changed before we installed the BE Agent on the server. I deleted all references to the old folder in the registry, without success

marcusolini
Level 5
Employee

I understand your predicament.  The System State FRS VSS Writer Component is still reporting the volume path of F: as a replication folder.  You will have to convince the Component otherwise by using FRS Management utilities.  By the way, I've misspoke about using DFS Management earlier because it appears that your SYSVOL replication is using the legacy FRS and not the later DFSR, which has replaced FRS.

From the perspective of BE, the FRS VSS Writer Component metadata should not report the inaccessible F: volume path.  The metadata is located in the Backup Exec logs directory; example:  ‘c:\program files\symantec\backup exec\logs\{D76F5A28-3092-4589-BA48-2958FB88CE29} - FRS Writer.xml’.  You can use this as a diagnostic to know when you have successfully removed the inaccessible F: volume path without having to perform a backup each time as confirmation.  This metadata is updated by BE whenever a new explicit browse (or backup) of System State is performed (not a browse refresh, must be a complete re-browse).

Here are solutions that can be considered and will require in-depth research...

(A) Use the FRS Management to correct the inaccessible F: volume path.

(B) Migrate FRS SYSVOL to use DFSR SYSVOL.

(C) As a temporary backup workaround, create an ‘F:’ volume and path ‘f:\windows\sysvol’ and a data file ‘temp-workaround-sysvol-data.txt’.  This is not a validated backup workaround and should be used as a temporary last resort.  The restore impacts are unknown.  Please use with extreme caution!

When able, please let us know the outcome of your research and solution.  In the meantime, I will still continue to investigate a solution for your dilemma.  Thank you.