cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 High Memory Utilisation,RAM

aft3rgl0w
Level 4

hi

we have installed BE 2012 on our windows 2008 standard SP2 server running on an ibm system x3650 machine with 12GB of RAM. it appears that as soon as this server is booted and backup jobs initiated, the beserver.exe process consumes pretty much all of the available RAM, 11.7GB and stays there independently of the status of backup jobs. Is this kind of behaiviour considered normal?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Make sure that if you have an AV installed, it isn't perhaps scanning the BE services. If it is, put in an exclusion for them and see if this resolves the issue.

Thanks!

aft3rgl0w
Level 4

so this high utilisation is in fact an issue...

can you please point me to the correct article that describes the procedure in doing all the neccessary exclusions on the backup exec server?

the backup exec server is running SEP 11.0.600

thanks

CraigV

aft3rgl0w
Level 4

thanks but is TECH58378 the correct article?it contains a lot of links and i think only http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21778 has some info about SEP running along with BE.

perhaps there is something more specific on the SEP exclusions ?

thanks again.

CraigV

Crud...thought they had the exclusions detailed there-in.

Anyway, all you do is open up services.msc and make a note of the BE services running. Put in exclusions in SEP for them. I don't know how to do this as we don't use it. We use McAfee and excluding the BE services from being scanned has solved a number of little different issues that were causing problems!

aft3rgl0w
Level 4

thanks for the reply CraigV

i tried to add the directory on my root drive where symantec is installed as well as individually the executable beserver.exe so as to be ignored from any scans etc but nothing changed really.i rebooted the server and when the jobs started beserver.exe memory usage still hit the maximum available memory.....

perhaps somebody else can suggest how do i go about making the exclusion or try something different ?

(i ve searched in the forum but cant seem to find something very relevant with my issue......unless its normal behaviour which i doubt...)

thanks again.

clovett
Level 4

I also have this same problem and I uninstalled my antivirus and I still have the issue.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try a re-install of .net framework

navintah
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Looks like you are experiencing this known issue:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189783

Please log a formal support case as we have a non-public update available that we believe will resolve the issue.

clovett
Level 4

Symantec tech support had me remove .net framework 3.51 and do a repair of Backup Exec and then claimed that would fix it.  Nope!  Approx 5 hours later beserver.exe consumed all the memory again.  So I decided to troubleshoot by uninstalling the last hotfix which was Hotfix 180962, did a reboot and guess what no more memory problems.

Colin_Weaver

Unfortunately uninstalling the Hotfix removes critical fixes that you need for other parts of the product as such the non-public update is potentially a better option than this route.

If any other customers read this post and contact tech support then get the technical contact (not the initial call handler) to look up the eTrack number referred to at the bottom of http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189783

aft3rgl0w
Level 4

interesting ...

though i dont really have much time into dealing with customer support over the telephone at this particular time as it gets rather busy at the office and unfortunatelly got more important issues.ill basically keep checking for TECH189783 in case theres an update about a proper fix out there and it would be helpful if somebody updates this post as well so as to be usefull for any other people that might stumble upon this post.

clovett
Level 4

Colin I would go that route but they told me the patch is not ready yet and 90% of my backup jobs were failing so I could not wait.

Colin_Weaver

The public patch is NOT ready, but a 3rd line technical support engineer has access to the non-public version and can work with the customer to test it.