cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Hyper-v Exchange 2003 GRT Error

Said_Paap
Level 2

Hello!

We've just upgraded from backup exec 2010 R3 to the new backup exec 2012 software.

Everything is working in order except for the GRT backup of the exchange store. We get the following error message when doing a Full Hyper-v Backup:

V-79-57344-38748 - Backup Exec was unable to prepare Microsoft Exchange resources for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations.  Therefore you will be unable to perform GRT-enabled restores of Microsoft Exchange data for '\\srvmail01.twinpack.local\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group' from this backup.

I've made a single test backup job with just the mail server and then the GRT just works fine (but i need it in a single job).

Is anyone else experiencing this kind of problemens with BE 2012 with Exchange 2003?

Tx!
10 REPLIES 10

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Said,

Are the Exchange databases stored on GPT volume??

I just came across a technote with same error but that is for VMware backups. Check this for your referance.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154707

Thanks,

-Sush...

Said_Paap
Level 2

Dear Sush,

The Exchange databases are'nt stored on a speciale volume. Just a regular VHD.

Greetz, Said.

Chucker
Level 2

Hi Said.

I have been fighting with the same exact issue you are having since late June 2012.  I have been working with Symantec Support but because I am using the same exact work around you are, I'm low priority and get intermittant support calls.

Hyper-V Host server is:  Windows Server 2008 Standard R2 SP1, no clustering or SAN.   All local SCSI Raid disks

Exchange 2003 Guest server is:  Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 SP2, 80GB Fixed VHD

To date, I've gathered logs and submitted same, ran a "repair" install as twice requeste, and even a full uninstall, and NEW install using a new database.  All only brings the exact same results.

V-79-57344-38748 - Backup Exec was unable to prepare Microsoft Exchange resources for Granular Recov...

Anyways, if you or anyone else has made any headway on this it would be appreciated.  I'm so tired of BE2012 becoming my "NEW FULL TIME JOB!"

Cheers

Chucker

Shamansys
Level 2
Partner

Hi,

We are experiencing same issue on multiple client servers.  We have Hyper-v with Windows 2008 R2 and running 2 Guest servers.  One in SBS 2011 and another Windows 2008 R2 w/SQL server.  Below is the error that we get.

V-79-57344-38727 - Backup Exec failed to snap virtual machine 'ServerName' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.

I have support case open with Advanced Technical Support Engineer for Backup Exec and they are not able to resolve this case.  As Chucker mention above we are spending long hours behind 2012 product.  Also when you talk to sales and marketing of Symantec they advertise that Hyper-v support but does not work.

I hope some one find the solution quick.

KS

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

These errors primarly point to Backup Exec not being able to make collect metadata for cataloging the GRT.

One of the main cause that I have seen is the Applications data (Exchange, SQL) in the Virtual Machine is either on a GPT disk or folder mounted. To check if it is a GPT disk, either you can go to diskpart-> 'list volume' to see it or in Disk Management right click on the disk (place where it says Disk0, Disk1) view properties and it will show in the Volumes tab. Either ways both is not supported for application GRT backups.

Other factor that can lead to these errors is mostly 3rd party VSS Provider installed in the VM. Run a vssadmin list poviders and make sure that only Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider is listed. Look in event viewer for any messages about either BEVSS or VSS corresponding to the time of backup. Additionally, look in the RAWS\VSS Provider\logs folder for any vss provider logs for any errors corresponding to the time of backups.

Shamansys
Level 2
Partner

Thanks Jaydeep,

Our disk are not GPT, they are NTFS format and Basic type.  We only have Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider.  All the VSS's are stable etc.  I have already worked with Symantec Expert and went over these too many times. Thanks for the try.

Regards,

KS.

Chucker
Level 2

Hi Jaydeep.

Same answer as Shamansys.....   no GPT, NTFS-Basic not Dynamic, only MS VSS (no third party).   Also already tried this though Symantec technical support.

Thanx for the input though....  Much appreciated.

Charlie

r_lanters
Level 2

Im getting the same error aswell is there a solution available now?

V-79-57344-38748 - Backup Exec was unable to prepare Microsoft Exchange resources for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations.  Therefore you will be unable to perform GRT-enabled restores of Microsoft Exchange data for '\\exchange.domain.local\Microsoft Information Store\Mailbox Database 1741887198' from this backup.

Using:

BE2012, Windows serv 2008 R2, exchange 2010.

Hyper-v backup job.

Thx in advance.

Said_Paap_Twin
Not applicable

Hello!

I don't have a real solution yet. I got around the problem by first making a backup to disk and then duplicate the job to Tape.

r_lanters
Level 2

Ah thats a pitty. I think its wierd for Symantec not providing a real solution seen this problem on other places as well. Thanks for your fast responds. In our situation to make them seperate jobs isnt an option.