cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Licenses - Says need more, but I have enough?

Shift_TK
Not applicable

My environment has 5 Windows Servers (4 presently using BE to backup, 5th will be eventually, own license for it now)

SERV1

• Presently using other backup software, as proprietary software on system has "issues" with Backup Exec.  To be transitioned to BE 2012 eventually.  Backs up to dedicated tape device in the meantime.  Hosts AD, Domino Replica server.  Agent for Applications and Databases reserved for this system.

SERV2

• Active Directory (backed up with BE), File shares (Backed up with BE), Domino Server (backed up with BE)

SERV3

• File shares (Backed up with BE), hosts an instance of SQL Server Express (NOT to be backed up with BE)

SERV4

• Active Directory (backed up with BE), File shares (Backed up with BE), SQL Server Express (NOT to be backed up with BE - 3rd party software to deal with this)

SERV5

• File shares (Backed up with BE), SQL Server Express (NOT to be backed up with BE).
  • This is our media server.

We have the following licenses: 

• Backup Exec 2012 Server (SERV5)
  • Backup Exec 2012 Agent for Windows x 2 (SERV3, SERV4)
  • Backup Exec 2012 Agent for Application and Database x 2 (SERV1, SERV2)

When I run the license assessment tool, I get a report stating that I need to purchase 2 x Licenses

• 1 x Agent for Applications and Databases (SERV2)
  • 1 x Agent for Windows (SERV4)

I've checked.  We're not backing up any databases on any systems other than SERV2, and I'm not even running the instance of SERV1.  Very confused as to how we're out of alignment, as when we were on 2010 it was reporting our environment was just fine.  Is it possible to "allocate a license" to just particular systems, to ensure that just because a database is running on a system that it's not taking a license?

Last thing I want is to find out that our Domino systems aren't being backed up because a SQL Server Express instance for ____ software used the license for Backup Exec, even though we're not backing up that SQL Server Express instance.

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you get any license related errors while taking backup of the above servers.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you say that AD is being backed up by BE, are you using ADRA or just backing up the system state of the server? ADRA counts as one application