cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Licensing Woes

TheDataMinder
Level 2

I just can't sort it out try as I may.

Every time I read another document about licensing I end up with a different price.  And these have ranged from 3k per year to 9k!

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have the following:

1 - W2K8R2 - Backup Exec 2012 Server - Will not be backing up.

1 - W2K8R2 - SQL Server

1 - W2K8R2 - Exchange 2010 Server

1 - W2K8R2 - File Server

2 - W2K8R2 - Domain Controllers

-------------------------------------------------------------

I figured I would need:

1 BE 2012 Server License

2 Client for Applications and Databases

3 Client for Windows

The License Assessment tool showed a requirement for 8 licenses.

I'm just looking for affirmation on my client licenses.  If I am wrong and there is something more to it, please elaborate.

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi TheDataMinder,

Based on the list of servers you mentioned, you are correct with your license count.

The question is:

• Are you backing-up to disk or tape?
  • If Tape, how many tape drives?
  • If disk, do you need deduplication capability?

Note:

• For every Base License (BE2012 Server) there is a free one Library Expansion Option (license needed for tape drive).
  • If more than one tape drive, you need to purchased additional LEO
  • To enable deduplication, you need to purchase additional Enterprise Disk license

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You are correct in your licence count.  

However, for your AD, you would not be able to restore individual AD objects.  If you want to restore individual AD objects, then you need to add 1 or 2 Agent for Applications and Databases licence and substract the corresponding number from the Windows Agent licence.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-ad-and-what-licences-do-i-need

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6

Hi TheDataMinder,

Based on the list of servers you mentioned, you are correct with your license count.

The question is:

• Are you backing-up to disk or tape?
  • If Tape, how many tape drives?
  • If disk, do you need deduplication capability?

Note:

• For every Base License (BE2012 Server) there is a free one Library Expansion Option (license needed for tape drive).
  • If more than one tape drive, you need to purchased additional LEO
  • To enable deduplication, you need to purchase additional Enterprise Disk license

Per_Vaihinen_En
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Almost ok, but to enable deduplication you need the Deduplication option. There is no Enterprise Disk license, there is however Enterprise Server Option formerly CASO for large managed installations and this includes the Advanced Disk-based Backup Option and that has nothing to do with Deduplication option.

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
My bad, it should be Backup exec deduplication Option. Thank you for the correction :)

TheDataMinder
Level 2

Thank you all very much for your clarification.

I do not require de-duplication at this time due to my data footprint; but I appeciate the recommendation.