Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012, Nexenta CIFS and two NICs

dpelligra
Level 3

Hi,

I'm running some tests on my new servers :

- 1 nexenta stor server shring via CIFS (supermicro hardware)

- 1 windows 2008 R2 server hosting BE 2012 Trial

- 1 tandberg T40 tape library connected to the backup server via SAS

In order to backup the nexenta shares i use 10Gigabit Ethernet NICs with a SX4 cable between the backup server and the Nexenta server.

Backup server is tied to the library with a SAS cable.

Library is installed and working correctly with local backups. My problm is i want to backup data from Nexenta USING the 10Gb link. So i set up a nea server to be backed up using the Nexenta 10Gb IP address. Problem is i can browse the shares in the backup parameters (but it is veeeeeery long to show up) but the backup just won't occur, telling "couldn't find the ressource".

I don't know if i made myself clear, anyway does someone have an idea why it just doesn't work ?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dpelligra
Level 3

Hi,

After looking around on the Internet without any luck i reverted to the BE 2010 R3 I already own and it's working just fine.

Thanks for your interest,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I guess, this is what you are looking for - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH68820

teiva-boy
Level 6

Try and edit your HOST file on the Backup server to resolve the name to the internal IP you're using for 10GbE.  The HOST file is looked at first before a DNS lookup, which may be why you're getting a timeout.

dpelligra
Level 3

I already added the nas to the host file, but anyways i'm using 10Gbit IP in backup exec to avoid those DNS queries.

I'll add that the backup server is also my primary domain controler.

The link you provided VJware is about fiber channel, but i'm using SX4 10Gbit connection. I can ping each machin from the other, and even browse the nas from the backup server without any problem.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Editing the host file correctly is the sure fire to make this work.  I do this all the time in Netbackup shops, EMC Networker, and with BackupExec.  When done right, the client machine looks to see if it's looking for itself, looks to the host file; then looks to DNS in that order.

Backup apps are HIGHLY dependant on DNS, and a backup app is a great way to find out when one is not working right ;)  

That said, host file is the ticket in 99% of cases, though since you mention your BE host is a DC, I'm not sure how the search order works there.  I'm typically working with dedicated backup hosts, not shared resources.

dpelligra
Level 3

Hi,

Hust to be sure i tried another thing :

- Added a "fake" name with my nas IP in hosts file

- Added the same fake name to dns server in both normal and reverse search

Pinging and browsing with that fake name works, BE can't authenticate on it and no backup.

So I tried simply without the 10Gb connection using the normal LAN all my machines use to access that nas. It doesn't work better. After a long while i can see the shares in BE but can't authenticate to them. I tried setting up NMDP server in Nexenta, made all shares disappear in BE (i think BE is not accepting NDMP from nexenta, couldn't find any compatibility listed for nexenta)

Any thoughts ?

dpelligra
Level 3

Hi,

After looking around on the Internet without any luck i reverted to the BE 2010 R3 I already own and it's working just fine.

Thanks for your interest,