Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Oracle 10g could not connect

stinson_b
Level 3

Hi all,

I kinda need your help in this case.

I'm using symantec backup exec 2012 and oracle 10g database. I installed the database in server DB1 and backup exec in DB2. I already set everything exactly like when I configure backup exec 2010 R3 and it was working. I already configure oracle login, credential and remote agent in DB1 too. I create a job at DB2(where the backup exec 2012 is installed) to backup the oracle database in DB1, like usual, using remote agent.It come up whit this error in the job log:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Thu Sep 20 17:55:59 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

# -----------------------------------------------------------------
 # RMAN command section
 # -----------------------------------------------------------------

RUN {
 ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch0
     TYPE 'SBT_TAPE';
 SEND 'BSA_SERVICE_HOST=172.21.217.130,NBBSA_TOTAL_STREAMS=1,NBBSA_JOB_COOKIE={D482689F-6F4F-44EF-81F6-364F1ED66CFF},NBBSA_DB_DEVICE_NAME=Oracle-Win::\\PRIMARY-SERVER.domain\opera';
 BACKUP
     INCREMENTAL LEVEL=0
     FORMAT 'BE_U'
     TABLESPACE
         'TOOLS' FORCE;

RELEASE CHANNEL ch0;
 }
using target database control file instead of recovery catalog
RMAN-03002: failure of allocate command at 09/20/2012 17:55:59
RMAN-06171: not connected to target database

EXIT

Recovery Manager complete.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I already did credential check, and changing the login info. I also tried to backup just the file in drive D:, it worked succesfully, but when I change backup selection to oracle, I keep getting the same error as above. please help me solve this. any suggestion is appreciated.

thank you very much.

13 REPLIES 13

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

Please check if below technotes help you:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72816

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74287

If the error still persists then, from the error in the job log, 

Error - "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified"

Try checking if TNS listner is started on your oracle database server (DB1), you can use following commands from command line;

- To check status - lsnrctl status

- To start - lsnrctl start

In the outputs of the above commands you can look for entry of the oracle database instance that you are trying to backup. It should be mentioned with started or listening.

Also from your oracle database server (DB1), from sql prompt on command line can you check if you are able to connect to your database using command "connect sys/<password>@<instance_name> as sysdba "

If you are able to connect then try backup again to see if it works, If you are unable to connect then you will need to modify tnsnames.ora and listner.ora files for right TNS listner entries.

stinson_b
Level 3

Hi Sameer,

Thanks for your reply. I tried to change in all the ways about the username and password in the database access tab in the remote agent. also username and password for oracle in backup exec media, it still get the same error. the password to my databse does not contain "@" on it. I also have tried the command that you gave me, this is the result:

______________________________________________________________________________________

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on 21-SEP-2012 09:52
:31

Copyright (c) 1991, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC0)))
STATUS of the LISTENER
------------------------
Alias                     LISTENER
Version                   TNSLSNR for 64-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Produ
ction
Start Date                19-SEP-2012 07:55:12
Uptime                    1 days 19 hr. 57 min. 19 sec
Trace Level               off
Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication
SNMP                      OFF
Listener Parameter File   D:\oracle\1020\network\admin\listener.ora
Listener Log File         D:\oracle\1020\network\log\listener.log
Listening Endpoints Summary...
  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC0ipc)))
  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\operaipc)))
  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=PRIMARY-SERVER.domain)(PORT=152
1)))
Services Summary...
Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
  Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "opera" has 2 instance(s).
  Instance "opera", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
  Instance "opera", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "opera_XPT" has 1 instance(s).
The command completed successfully

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>lsnrctl start

LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on 21-SEP-2012 09:52
:59

TNS-01106: Listener using listener name LISTENER has already been started

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

______________________________________________________________________________________

And It still got the same error. I really don't know what's wrong. any other advice? or you need other information that might help you to analyze this case.

Thanks

Jarmunen
Level 2

Hi,

Im having same kind of problem with same products

Backup Exec 2012

Oracle 10g

Opera

Error message:

Final error: 0xe0009b61 - Backup Exec could not log on to the server with the logon account specified for it. The logon account does not have valid credentials. Ensure that the user name and password are correct in the logon account.
Final error category: Security Errors

when I test credentials Sys account let's me see (and test passes) Oracle database "oracle instances"
but under that is Oracle Database "OPERA" and that's where the test fails.

In Oracle server Symantec Backup Exec Agent Utility has sys account information on oracle tab and "backup admin" (domain admin) account in database access tab
(it wont accept sys-account here, should it?)

Opera provider has assured me that password is correct. how can I test this without any spesific oracle knowledge? I was not able to start sql cmd (sqlcmd -shome)

listener is started

LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on 21-SEP-2012 09:43
:49

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC0)))
STATUS of the LISTENER
------------------------
Alias                     LISTENER
Version                   TNSLSNR for 64-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Produ
ction
Start Date                22-AUG-2012 20:41:47
Uptime                    29 days 13 hr. 2 min. 2 sec
Trace Level               off
Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication
SNMP                      OFF
Listener Parameter File   D:\oracle\1020\network\admin\listener.ora
Listener Log File         D:\oracle\1020\network\log\listener.log
Listening Endpoints Summary...
  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC0ipc)))
  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\operaipc)))
  (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=w2k3sr09.finnexpo.local)(PORT=1521))
)
Services Summary...
Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
  Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "opera" has 2 instance(s).
  Instance "opera", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "opera_XPT" has 1 instance(s).
The command completed successfully

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

Could you also let me know if you are able to to connect to your database on DB1 through sql prompt?

On DB1, open cmd line and goto sql prompt and try connecting to your your database using command "connect sys/<db_password>@<instance_name> as sysdba "

<db_password> - password of database

<instance_name> - SID of your database, I think it is opera from above logs.

Thanks,

Sameer

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

Hi Jarmunen,

This seems to be an issue with logon credentials configuration to me. On the Backup Exec server, have you added the name of the Oracle server and the user name that you enabled for database access?

Please follow - http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73887 for more details.

Thanks,

Sameer

stinson_b
Level 3

Hi Sameer,

yes, i am able to connect to my database through sql promt on DB1.

thanks

-stinson

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

Hi Stinson,

The command "connect sys/<db_password>@<instance_name> as sysdba ", is the same commad that Backup Exec uses to make a connection to Oracle database in backup job, but BE is somehow failing to connect. Since you are able to connect to the database using the same command from command line which BE is failing through scripts, it would be required to look into your enviornment. I would suggest to open a case with Symantec tech support so that they can look into your enviornment and the issue at hand.

Besides, if it suits you, as a workaround till then you can run DBA initiated backup jobs (to BE through RMAN command line). These jobs are similar to jobs initiated through BE UI except that they need to be triggered through RMAN command line and can be targeted to your backup device.

Thanks,

Sameer

Jarmunen
Level 2

Hi Sameer,

that was not done. i added that sys account, restarted services, but it did not help.

I will email you pdf of my settings.

And I forgot to mention that other backup jobs on the same server work just fine (sys state, C:\ drive etc)

BR, J

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

Hi Jarmunen,

I checked your settings, On the Backup Exec server, where you added the name of the Oracle server provide the 'beadmin' logon account instead of 'sys' account you have currently provided. After changing the logon account run the backup job again.

Take care that the user name is typed exactly the same way you did in the Database Acess tab of Remote Agent Utility on your oracle server.

Thanks,

Sameer

Jarmunen
Level 2

Hi Sameer and thanks for your quick replies.

I changed sys -> beadmin in "Backup Exec Settings - Oracle" tab and restarted services and ran the job, still the same error message

it is now in this form: domain.local\beadmin in both (server & client)

this beadmin is domain admin account, but it does not have any specified user rights in oracle. that sys account is the only account that I know of which have oracle rights.

is there an easy way to log on to that database and check if this sys-account is valid. (I have RDP access and admin rights to that oracle server)

BR, J 

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

So just to make sure, now in Backup Exec Settings - Oracle tab and in Remote Agent Utility - Database Access tab you have "domain.local\beadmin" user account and in Remote Agent Utility (on Oracle server) - Oracle tab you have 'sys' account. Right? It should be this way.

Now we need to ensure if your 'domain.local\beadmin' has administrative rights on the oracle server. For that you need to logon (using RDP) onto the oracle server with 'domain.local\beadmin' and then open command line. Once on command line, issue following commands,
1) set ORACLE_SID=opera (I am assuming this is the database you want to backup)
2) rman target /

After issuing second command if you reach to 'rman>' prompt with above line stating something like 'connected to target database : opera' then everything in configuration seems fine.

If you dont reach to rman prompt then that means your domain.local\beadmin does not have administrative rights on the oracle server. On oracle server open Computer management -> Local Users and Groups -> Groups and find group 'ora_dba'. Double click on this group and 'Add' the user 'domain.local\beadmin' and click on ok.
Once done may be log off and relogin and again open command line and try the above two commands and see if you reach rman prompt.
If reached, again try backup job.

Thanks,
Sameer

Jarmunen
Level 2

Hi,

That's correct, those are the settings I now have.

beadmin account was not in ora_dba group, I added it in it, but no help:

C:\>set ORACLE_SID=opera

C:\>rman target /

Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Fri Sep 28 12:40:20 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

RMAN-00554: initialization of internal recovery manager package failed
RMAN-04005: error from target database:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

I also had a chance to reboot that Oracle server, but it did not help.

should I ask our Opera provider to grant some kind of backup rights to ora_dba group? or what is the next step?

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

From the error it clearly states "insufficient privilidges", The beadmin account, which is configured in Backup Exec is used while backup to connect to Oracle database, it would not succeed till correct rights are provided. 

Although, I do believe that after adding beadmin to  'Ora_dba' group the command should have worked.

Please get along with your oracle dba and resolve the rights issue.

Thanks!