cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Purchased, Downloaded, "Empty" Zip Files

acpiper
Level 2

My company purchased BE2012 a little more than a week ago - cost us over $4,000.  We received a link to download the software.  When we got there we were given a total of 3 links: 

a.  Symantec Backup Exec 2012 for Windows Servers License + 12 Months Essential Support 

b.  Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Agent for Applications and Databases License + 12 Months Essential Support

c.  Symantec Backup Exec 2012 Agent for Windows License + 12 Months Essential Support

Each link had a yellow [Download Software] button, and each file was exactly the same size: 4.5GB.  They were also the exact same name: BE_2012.zip.  When downloaded individually I renamed each BE_2012a, b, c.  This was not like the Trialware where the webpage explains that there are 2 files and a CMD file which will combine the 2 into a zip which, when unzipped, will become an ISO.

So, I spent 6 hours downloading these 3 files, my boss spent 6 hours downloading these 3 files, and when you attempt to unzip them Windows returns with a response, "The compressed (zipped) folder is empty)", in spite of the fact that Explorer says that each file is 4.48gb.

We paid as much for this software as many families do for their car, and we expect a little better support than what we've been provided so far.  I've seen references on the forums implying that we could use the trialware version.  I downloaded it, converted it to an ISO on a USB stick and gave it to my boss.  He's reticent to use it because it isn't what he paid for, and has been pointed by a technician to download what appears to me to be the same trialware (2 files and a CMD file).  My question is - if it was just a matter of downloading the trialware in the first place, then activating it using whatever licensing procedures are in place with Symantec, then why go through the 4.5gb downloads that we were pointed to - that don't even work?

I really would like someone to get back with me and answer what happened, because, as a customer, I'm confused.  If you have the ability our order number with Symantec is 0092197.

Thanks go out to whoever can help me.

acp

4 REPLIES 4

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Please download from below link BE2012 ISO as per the server you have got like 32 or 64 bit

BE 2012 Installer - https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=133703

You need to enter user name and password if not have one register with one and then once done it will take you to download page were you need to download backup exec installer for either 32 or 64 bit and size is around 1.4 gb only so would be quick too 

Thanks

acpiper
Level 2

This looks like the same link my boss got, ie, the Trialware.  That doesn't explain the failure of the original downloads, that close to 10 manhours were expended downloading and trying to install, and then, failing that, researching and waiting for responses from tech support and forums just like this one.

We could have saved a lot of time & hassle by going directly to the trialware site and downloading it had we known that it would provide the same software that we paid for.  I only hope that this forum helps the next people who experience this same problem avoid the pitfalls that we stepped into.

And, if the ISO that I just assembled and am giving to my boss is different than what we paid for I'll be happy to share that here as well.

acp

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What you purchased is "License to Use" along with an Year of support from Symantec. The software is same and if you install it without entering the serial number it works for only 60 days.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

There are 2 ways to download this software one by file connect were you go by licensing way and other is by the link I have given above in both cases it is same software and entering licenses would make it licensed version.,only difference is the way you were downloading was single ISO which can be used on Any 32 or 64 bit OS the one I have given is you can download specifically as per the OS type.

Lastly please ensure you have got SLF file as BE 2012 require SLF which need go be imported so to activate the product you would need base license key and for other agent and option you would have license like application datbase etc so this would be licenses which would help to activate it 

Thanks