cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Question

GatorChomp07
Level 2

Hello all,

I'm currently busing Backup Exec 2012 on Server 2008 R2 and i have a few backup tapes that were not labeled with dates on them and were left from the last employee that was in my position.  My question is, is there anyway i can find out the dates the last backup occurred so i can label them and store them correctly without catalog/restore? Or if i have to catalog and restore what steps do i have to take in order to find out the correct date the last backup happened on a particular tape? 

Thank you so much in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I hope you are talking about physically labeling the media as in using a pen/sticker. In the Storage tab, if you select the Tape in question and double click, you would get an option to view the backup set contents of the Tape. This should allow you to view what is there on the tape, typically date.

Another way to find out, is explore the job logs form each and every server that you backup from the Backup / Restore Tab and see which media was used for a perticular job.

Note - Labeling operation in Backup Exec will make all the data on the tape un useable.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

I hope you are talking about physically labeling the media as in using a pen/sticker. In the Storage tab, if you select the Tape in question and double click, you would get an option to view the backup set contents of the Tape. This should allow you to view what is there on the tape, typically date.

Another way to find out, is explore the job logs form each and every server that you backup from the Backup / Restore Tab and see which media was used for a perticular job.

Note - Labeling operation in Backup Exec will make all the data on the tape un useable.

GatorChomp07
Level 2

Thank you for the response, Yea i meant to say there were tapes that weren't pen/sticker labeled and i was trying to figure out what those tapes are.  Do i inventory before i can see the tape?

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Yes, if you are using a autoloader or a library, put all the tapes and Inventory them together, else using a standalone tape drive you would have to go 1 tape at a time.

GatorChomp07
Level 2

Ok thank you so much,  sorry for the questions i just got one last one,  Would i be able to do the same if i took that tape and plugged it into a different tape drive that isn't part of our network?

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

As long as you are looking at the tape using Backup Exec 2012 (or even 2010), yes you should be able to browse the tapes. There would be an additional step involved thought - Cataloging. You need to catalog the Tape.

Incase you are using encryption, you also would require the passphrase.