cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 R2 - Copy to tape terminates with Hardware error.

michael_halvors
Level 2

I have a HP MLS4048 Tape Library connected with SCSI to a server HP Proliant 380 G6, running Windows Standard Server 2008 R2.
With Microsofts drivers for Tape Drive installed, the backup goes smooth, but very slow, only 120 MB/min.

With Symantecs drivers installed, the job rate is about 2000 MB/min (!), BUT the job terminats after a while with Hardware Error.
This happens every time, either in the beginning of the backup job or after a while.

Anyone out there which have solution?

Thanks

Michael H.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

What OS is the server running? If Server 2003, make sure the Removable Storage service is stopped and disabled.

Also, the Robotics should be showing up as "Unknown medium changer" in Windows Device Manager...if this isn't the case, and it shows up as the HP equivalent, change it to the driver I mentioned and use the BE drivers (install via tapeinst.exe) for the drive.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

michael_halvors
Level 2

Test

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

What OS is the server running? If Server 2003, make sure the Removable Storage service is stopped and disabled.

Also, the Robotics should be showing up as "Unknown medium changer" in Windows Device Manager...if this isn't the case, and it shows up as the HP equivalent, change it to the driver I mentioned and use the BE drivers (install via tapeinst.exe) for the drive.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you have HP Insight software, uninstall them

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

With Symantecs drivers installed, the job rate is about 2000 MB/min (!), BUT the job terminats after a while with Hardware Error.

2 GB/min is not an unrealistic number.  How fast are you used to it running?

I would investigate the hardware error that BE is reporting.  What is the exact error?  What is in the Windows event logs?  Have you tried HP's Library & Tape Tools diagnostics?

Here is more info that will help troubleshoot:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49432

michael_halvors
Level 2

Hi and thanks for all your answers!

I solved the problem with tip fra CraigV;

I uninstalled the HP driver for the Media Changer Device ( In Device Manager) so it became Uknown. I did NOT installed the Symantec drivers after that.

Regards

Michael H