cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Remote Agent starts and stops

Marcin_PL
Level 3

Hello

I have problem with Backup Exec 2012 Remote Agent for Windows ( beremote.exe, version: 14.0.1798.0 ).

After automatic start or manual Remote Agent service starts and stops immediately. When I try second time to start I get:

Error 1067 - The process terminated unexpectedly.

I tried this solution but It didn't help: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH69875.html

I installed BE 2012 Remote Agent from BE Server and localy but nothing changes.

The system of this server is: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, 64bit

thanks for any help

Martin - Poland

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Per your previous comment -

Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 14.0.1798.0, time stamp: 0x4f1e02d7
Faulting module name: bedsnote.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f1e02bd
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000006a8c1801
Faulting process id: 0xe9c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0acde1d6294d4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\beremote.exe
Faulting module path: bedsnote.dll
Report Id: 6216cd95-18d1-11e5-a8f2-00155d157706

This indicates the Remote Agent is crashing on bedsnote.dll module. Does the remote server have Lotus Notes installed and used ?

And are you backing up the Lotus Notes DBs via Backup Exec ? If not, stop the remote agent services, rename bedsnote.dll to bedsnote.dll_old and try to restart the Remote Agent service and check.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you've got an antivirus installed make sure it isn't actively scanning the BE services. if it is, put in an exclusion for beremote.exe and try again.

Thanks!

Marcin_PL
Level 3

Windows Firewall is off. I tried to start this service without firewall.

Now there is Symantec Endpoint Protection.

This information is in the Windows Log.

Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 14.0.1798.0, time stamp: 0x4f1e02d7
Faulting module name: bedsnote.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f1e02bd
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\beremote.exe

Colin_Weaver

Make sure nothing is already listening on port 10000 before the remote agent tries to start.

Also make sure the host file on the system contains valid entries (we have seen invalid entries cause a remote agent service start failure in the oast)

If this still fails then see if you can capture the failure by logging the agent startup.
You can use SGMON.exe to log the remote agent activity as you attempt to start it.

ChristianWitzke
Level 3

If you try to start and stop the service ....... i can give you my experiance

1. open Service Manager from Windows and try to stop it over Windows Right Click

--waiting, if you get the message that the service can not be stop use CMD

2. CMD-> sc queryex BackupExecAgentBrowser or any other BE Service

--remember the PID in the output

3. taskkill /f /pid XXXX

4. now you can restart your Service with Windows Right Click

Social Media Sites:
https://de.linkedin.com/in/christian-witzke-2b311360
https://www.xing.com/profile/Christian_Witzke4
http://christian-witzke.de/

CraigV

...check SEP and put in an exclusion for beremote.exe.

Thanks!

Marcin_PL
Level 3

First time I tried without SEP and Windows Firewall off.

Nothing is Listening on port 10000 - I checked netstat.

Service start and automaticaly stop after about 3 second.

When I tried one more time to start I got error 1067.

Now I am checking SGMON.EXE to find some errors but I can't find difference between log from this server and another where everything is ok.

In the Windows Log there is nothing interesting.

CraigV

...is the media server fully patched and have these BE patches been push-installed to your remote servers?

Thanks!

Marcin_PL
Level 3

Yes. I tierd to install RAWS from BE server and localy.

The same problem in all instalations.

I have SP4 for BE 2012 installed. The same version of BE on the remote and BE server 14.0.1798

At one server I don't have any problems but In the new I have.

ChristianWitzke
Level 3

Make a export of your BE_Jobs and BE_Settings + Copy the Catalogfolder to safety location and make a clean install of BackupExec

We use 10 BE Instances on different Locations and 2 of 10 BE Instances are not upgradeable ;) although the starting point was always the same

Social Media Sites:
https://de.linkedin.com/in/christian-witzke-2b311360
https://www.xing.com/profile/Christian_Witzke4
http://christian-witzke.de/

Marcin_PL
Level 3

One of the last information from SGMON log:

Could not resolve the "bews-ndmp" or the "ndmp" service, error code: 10109, using port 10000

But in

Marcin_PL
Level 3

the next start test the last information is:

Started NDMP Listener on port 10000

I don't know what is wrong.

Marcin_PL
Level 3

The RAWS service also stops when connection to BE Server is not configured during instalation.

CraigV

...run netstat on the server giving you issues and see if there isn't a possible port clash.

Thanks!

Marcin_PL
Level 3

Port 10000 is not listed in Listening ports using netstat.

Marcin_PL
Level 3

I also tried to change port from 10000 to 9000, but I got the same problem.

VJware
Level 6

Per your previous comment -

This indicates the Remote Agent is crashing on bedsnote.dll module. Does the remote server have Lotus Notes installed and used ?

And are you backing up the Lotus Notes DBs via Backup Exec ? If not, stop the remote agent services, rename bedsnote.dll to bedsnote.dll_old and try to restart the Remote Agent service and check.

Marcin_PL
Level 3

I have Lotus Notes instalation on this Remote Server, but I don't backup lotus databases on this server, because there is only instalation to use Notes ODBC. So I have only program. The databases are on the another server where I don't have any problems with backup. Remote Agent working properly and backup from BE Server finish with success.

I have problem in new server.

VJware
Level 6

Since you don't backup the Lotus Notes on the "affected" server, then rename the dll as i suggested earlier and check if the remote agent service starts up properly or not.

Marcin_PL
Level 3

Renaming bedsnote.dll helped :).

It was so easy ....

Thank you very much !!!