cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012: Restore take ages (Status "Queued")

SG
Level 4

Dear Symantec,

I'm running Backup Exec 2012 (without SP1a) on a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 on a dedicated physical Backup Server.

I tried to run a restore of about 65 MB via a 1 GBit network connection to a virtual fileserver (as well Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1).

The restore took more than 4 hours!! 3:59 hours the restore job had the status "Queued" and then the restore was done in 5 seconds:

Restored 111 files in 17 directories.
1 item was skipped.
Processed 67.222.400 bytes in  5 seconds.
Throughput rate: 769 MB/min

No other backup job was running during the restore job nor any other task like defragmentation on source or target server.

The restore files were located on a locally attached disk on the backup server.

Any ideas??

Best regards,
 SG

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Check if any oustanding alerts ? And do upgrade to SP1a as soon as you get a chance...

SG
Level 4

I forgot to mention: No outstanding alerts! Nothing...

And I don't want to risk to get a big mess when updating to SP1a as I read so many posts of users having issues after updating to SP1(a). So I want to wait for SP2 or R2...

Also I read that this "queued" issue should also be solved in BE 2010 R3...

So did it come back with BE 2012!?

Regards,
 SG

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There were few issues when SP1 was released, however SP1 was re-released as SP1a with fixes...Are there any notable events logged under system & application logs ?

and I hope you checked for alerts corresponding to the restore server & the disk storage as well ?

SG
Level 4

Hi VJware,

I checke the Windows APPLICATION and SYSTEM log. There are no errors or warning reporting during the restore time.

The strange thing is that the backups themselves on the same disk storage for that file server and other (physical and virtual) servers are running fine and with high speed. The restore itself (when it finally started) was also fast. The 4 hours of "queued time" are the problem...

Here an extract of the job history of that fileserver:

Best regards,
 SG