cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Restoring an email item --> Insufficient disk space

elcorti
Level 3

Hi,

I keep testing the new version 2012 SP2, last night the backup ended fine.

Today I am testing the recovering options... my first test, recover an email from exchange 2003.

I got the following error

Job ended: Thursday, October 24, 2013 at 11:38:39 AM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe000848f - Insufficient disk space. Final error category: Resource Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33935

I checked the options and I set GRT paths to a drive with a 300 Gb free , before was pointing out C: but Istill got the same error.

Anything else I am mising?

thanks a lot.

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Nobody answered here...is the 300GB free disk space equal to the size of the Information Store? If not, it has to be, as a GRT-based backup to tape will always stage the entire Information Store to disk before restoring items.

Thanks!

elcorti
Level 3

hi,

the partition with the information store is about 168 Gb only... it should be more than enough....but doesnt seem to be used during the restoring process.

I look into the partition where I am restoring and I don't see any file being restore at all.

any log file I could check? i am a bit lost...

thanks  a lot in advance.

jose

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There is a setting in Backup Exec for the GRT staging location.

This loction probably defaults to the C: drive of the media server. 

It is only used when trying to restore a single GRT object (in your case an e-mail) from a Backup that was done on tape.

It is used to recover the whole of the container the holds the GRT object (in your case this means your information store) to a disk location from the tape because we cannot directly mount the information store from tape in order to get at the individual e-mails. - We mount it from this temp location after it has all been pulled back form tape.

As such where the space needs to be free is NOT the partition that currently holds where you are restoring too, it is purely where this staging area is located.

I am sorry I am not in front of Backup Exec currently to be able to tell you where to go to set the path for this area to somewhere with enough space (that also must be NTFS and must have the same sector size as your original Exchange Information store path)

Note1: This setting is in different places depending on whether BE 2010 or BE 2012 is being used.

Note2: If you did backups to disk instead of tape then the staging process is not needed as we mount directly from the backup. This is why we recommend GRT backups are done to disk (with duplication to tape if you need an offsite copy)

lmosla
Level 6

try running a duplicate to disk job and then running the restore from there.  see:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187265