cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 SBE SP4

Infodine
Level 2

Hello,

I had lost my installation media so I logged into the Veritas portal and was quite happy to see I could download it and manage my license online. I downloaded the ISO, mounted it on my new server and the installer gives me the bad news that it cannot be installed on Windows 2012R2.

Not impressed. I'm sure it would run perfectly fine on 2012R2 they just decide they aren't going to allow it.

Now I need to go shopping for Tape Backup Software or keep an old 2008R2 server laying around for this.
How stupid.

Has anyone found a workaround for this?
Is there an upgrade that will fix my problem without spending a few thousand $$?

Thanks,

Warren

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do you seriously expect all your current software to support all future versions of Windows?  BE 2012 is rather old.  In fact it will be EOL next month.

If you are on a current maintenance contract, you can upgrade for free to BE 16 which is the latest version and will support Server 2012 R2.

The SBE edition is no more and it is replaced by the Capacity Edition.  Do do some research on the implications of this change.

I have done some research. Your pricing model has made your recent editions 2 to 3 times more expensive as the reasonable Small Business Edition I bought. By the time I get my SQL server and Exchange server covered, it is unreasonable. Then you start charging by how much we backup. You are losing customers.

Windows 2012R2 recognizes my SAS card, I have drivers for the Tape Drives, and, your software won't even try to install. Rediculous. 

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what are the reasons behind your thoughts? why following the upgrade scenarios of microsoft (eg win2012) and not following the upgrade scenarios of veritas? the software has improvements too.

I f wyou want to stay on bexec 2012, why don't you stay on win2008?