cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 SP3 Restore Wizard Hangs/Crashes/Slow memory leak.

Alex_Munday
Level 3

I have a customer who backs-up a folder called clients which contains 150,000 sub folders in it with the customers ID as the folder name. Within these folders are subfolders for each incident the client raises. So the folder structure is similar to:

\\Server\share\documents\1\1\
\\Server\share\documents\1\2\
\\Server\share\documents\1\3\

all the way to:

\\Server\share\documents\150000\1\
\\Server\share\documents\150000\2\
\\Server\share\documents\150000\3\

The customer users Backup Exec 2012 SP3 v14. Rev 1798 (64-bit)

When we try to expand the restore wizard to restore some accidentally deleted files, it takes ages for the tree structure to expand the 150,000 subfolders in the documents folder. That is if it doesn't error with "Query Failed"

We seem to have found a pattern to the "Query Failed" message when expanding the folder, in that, if you have expanded the folder previously without re-starting the backup exec administrator, it will usually fail on the second attempt to expand the folder, memory for BackupExec.exe will continue to grow above 3Gb and CPU usage consumes a logical processors time. If you load BE 2012 and go straight to the restore Wizard it eventually opens the folder, after a long wait (which is expected as there are so many folders).

After being able to expand the folder, if we then try and open a sub folder from within the clients folder e.g. \\Server\share\documents\150000\2\, the wizard hangs. CPU usage goes up, and the backupExec.exe keeps consuming more and more memory (I killed the process when it hit 6gb), but it didn't look like it was going to stop growing for 20 minutes.

Is there another way to restore the files?
why does the memory usage increase so much?
why does backup exec hang?

Any help appriciated!

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Alex,

Have you tried the SEARCH option during the restore? When you open the restore wizard try to search for the filename using the SEARCH option. Ones the file is found you can select and restore that file.

Let us know the result.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Alex_Munday
Level 3
Hi Sush, The search option does work, and I have told the customer to use this for the time being. However, we would still like the issue with expanding the search results to be looked in to. Thanks Alex

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Alex,

Thanks for the updates, I agree with you that this needs to be fixed. I would suggest you to open an official case with Symantec so that this issue can be throughly investigated and fix can be given if it is in the scope of the current version.

Regards,

Sush...