cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 SP3 SP4 Update Issues/VSS

jsnyder05
Level 2

Hello, this my first post in the community forums. I have 2 issues with Backup Exec 2012 that may be related I'm not sure.

Background: Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition. Backup Exec 2012 Full backup once weekly to external HD and incremental backups daily. Backup Exec 2012 SP3. Simple DC, File Server, App Server for a small business. Backing up C, F (system reserved drive), and system state.

Issue 1: Backup Exec 2012 SP4 update fails everytime with  LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed when it ran.  This update was not applied.

Attempted Resolutions:

1. Standalone installer - fails

2. Ran regsvr32 %windir%\system32\msxml3.dll it succeeds and I run live update again and come up with the same error.

3. Turned off UAC and rebooted the server

Issue 2: Suddenly, with no changes to the server of any kind upon Full or incremental backup it fails stating the following errors.

- Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\CARECOSERVER.careco.local\System?State". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot technology selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Unable to open the item \\CARECOSERVER.careco.local\F:\System Volume Information\001.dat - skipped.
Unable to open the item \\CARECOSERVER.careco.local\F:\System Volume Information\002.dat - skipped.

I have checked the VSS Writers and it seems that only the DFS replication service writer or System Writer is failing from the backup. If I reset the Com+ services, DFS services, and VSS writer service or reboot the server the writer becomes stable again but then if I run either backup it times out and says error.

Attempted Resolutions:

1. Changed AOFO settings and selected System - Use Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Service Provider

2. http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH159538&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1405965413894

3. Changed Shadow Limit to Unlimited on C drive

4. Updated Windows, including the following KB hotfixes related to VSS issues: KB2678241, KB980794, KB976099.

5. Re-Registered a long list of .dll files relating to VSS

I'm at a loss can anyone out there provide any input.

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

For the LU error, check below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH170556

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...for the AOFO error, a reboot normally fixes this, but try using the Automatic selection for VSS.

THanks!

jsnyder05
Level 2

Hey Craig,

So, I downlaoded the standalone installer again (64-bit) and now the installer says a different version of backup exec has been detected on this system and this patch is for backup exec 2012. Just check my about section and I have 2012 V14.0 Rev. 1798 64-bit....Downloaded from here http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH212772

jsnyder05
Level 2

I selected Automatic and got the same error message :(

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help so far

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Can I ask what the outcome of all this was?