cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 SP4 Update

ksdst1
Level 5

Hi all,

I have BEX 2012 V14.0 Rev 1798 x64 w/ SP1 and the last hotfix 205111.  When I try to run live update I continuously get and errors that prevent the downloaded decompressed content to install.  I'd like to try to install the updates manually.  I have accessed the product download site and entered my serial number, but the only things listed are the Backup_Exec_2012_14.0_SP4_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual.zip files.  This produces a full install version of BEX 2012 sp4 but I can't seem to find just the SP4 update install file (or whatever files I may need to install in sequence, eg. SP2, SP3, etc).  

BTW, LU Error: 1812 and 1806..A program that was part of this update failed with it ran.  This update was not applied -And- LU downloaded all of the updates you requested but all of them failed to install.  Please...try at a later time.  I have plenty of space on the C: drive, where the downloads would be saving to, etc.

tnx..

16 REPLIES 16

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to the below article to download BE 2012 SP4.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH212772

ksdst1
Level 5

cheers

ksdst1
Level 5

Hi,

When I try to run the BE1798.1364RSP4_x64bit SP4 upgrade file, which I have at the root of C:, I get the error message "There is not enough space on drive C:\ to extract this package.  Please free up 364.91 MB and click Retry."  I assume that this is why the LU has not worked for the update.  The C: drive has 400 GB free and the System account has full rights to the C: drive.  What should I do?

tnx...

ksdst1
Level 5

Hi,

When I try to run the BE1798.1364RSP4_x64bit BEX2012_SP4x64 manual upgrade on the W2008R2x64 server, from the C:\ drive that has 400GB free space, I get the error message "There is not enough space on the drive C:\to extract this package.  Please free up 364.91 MB and click Retry."  I guess this is why the automated LU update hasn't worked.  

Cosequently, i noticed that in c;\programdata\symantec\liveupdate\downloads the amount of stuff in there is 364 MB.  I have move that content to another file location but still get the error.

Please help!

ksdst1
Level 5

Hi,

When I try to run the BE1798.1364RSP4_x64bit BEX2012_SP4x64 manual upgrade on the W2008R2x64 server, from the C:\ drive that has 400GB free space, I get the error message "There is not enough space on the drive C:\to extract this package.  Please free up 364.91 MB and click Retry."  I guess this is why the automated LU update hasn't worked.  

Cosequently, i noticed that in c;\programdata\symantec\liveupdate\downloads the amount of stuff in there is 364 MB.  I have move that content to another file location but still get the error.

Please help!

AmolB

Try the soluiton mentioned in the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH68908

ksdst1
Level 5

Hey,

Sorry for the multiple posts.  After replying, I did not notice the message stating "post needs to be reviewed" so I thought there was an issue with my browser.

Anyhoo, tnx for the reply but I already tried all the suggestions with no new result. 

Any other suggestions?  Is there a way to extract/unpack the install files using another manner (command prompt??) in order to run the install?

Also, I can't ignore the fact that I have a hunch that the error message says I need to clear the same amount of space that existed (I deleted it and retried install with resulting same error) in the LU download folder. 

[Cosequently, i noticed that in c:\programdata\symantec\liveupdate\downloads the amount of stuff in there is 364 MB.  I have move that content to another file location but still get the error.]

Where does the install try to unpack the install content?  If it is LU->download instead of the system temp folder.

tnx

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Use the Windows Explorer and clean up the C: drive, make sure you clear out the temp directory.

2) Check the C: drive for directories with a random string as directory name.  If found, delete these directories.

Try again.

ksdst1
Level 5

I appreciate suggestions.  However, this one does not make sense to me, "Check the C: drive for directories with a random string as directory name".  This is vague.  The C: drive is a "big place".

Can someone please address the points I raised in my last post?

tnx...

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Some installer creates directories with random strings as the directory name in the root of the C: drive and user these to unpack the installation package. These should be deleted after the installation, but sometimes they are left behind

ksdst1
Level 5

Hi...I have not worked on this recently b/c of no time.  I now can initiate the SP update and it seems to nearly finish but then errors out with LU1812: A program that was part of this update failed when it ran.  This update was not applied.  Event ID 1024. 

Are there methods to troublshoot this error message in more detail?  TECH67023 does not seem to apply to BEX2012.  

tnx....

ps...it wasn't something to do with finding a directory with random strings.  

VJware
Level 6

I would recommend starting off with the install log. This should help in finding out in detail as to why the SP update failed.

The log file is named bkupinst2012.htm & typically found in C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs OR at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\

ksdst1
Level 5

Hello,

Sorry for the delay.  The log file is very large.  What specifically should I be looking for and in what part of the log file?

tnx...

VJware
Level 6

The log file keeps on appending to itself... Start from the end of the log as that would contain info pertaining to the last install.

ksdst1
Level 5

I have BEX 2012 Version 14 Rev 1798 64-Bit for W2008 R2 Stnd.  Is it advisable to install other service packs before SP4 and if so, can you provide the links and sequential order of them?  

This is what shows up at the end that indicated a problem...A

07-23-2014,16:23:10 : V-225-205: ERROR -1: The OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "BESERVER_DB" does not contain the table ""BEDB"."dbo"."vwGetJobHistoryResourceContainerMapping"". The table either does not exist or the current user does not have permissions on that table. ***To search for information about this error, click here 
07-23-2014,16:23:10 : CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[ReportFailedJobs] ( @protected_srv_names nvarchar(4000) = '', @numdays_befor
07-23-2014,16:23:10 : ERROR: -1 - Failed to execute dbupgradebuildtobuild.sql.
07-23-2014,16:23:10 : dbupgradebuildtobuild.sql changes did not complete successfully. Database schema may have been modified by this patch.
07-23-2014,16:23:10 : V-225-1000: Patch has failed to fix BEDB data(schema). Rolling back patch process. ***To search for information about this error, click here 

07-23-2014,16:23:47 : V-225-136: The patch failed to install. An alert was unable to be generated to notify the user. ***To search for information about this error, click here 
07-23-2014,16:23:47 : Exiting PatchSetup.exe

VJware
Level 6

Your debug matches the one as outlined in this KB article - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH215215

And no need to install SPs prior to SP4. Would recommend to follow the steps as mentioned in the above and related KB and then try installing SP4.

Lastly, if the above does not help, try this KB as well - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH212637