cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 SP4 with Hotfix 217347 ...

DiWi
Level 4

Hello,

I have 6 media servers (Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1) running Backup Exec 2012 SP4 with Hotfix 217347. Those servers do backups of Exchange 2003 SP2 servers (running Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86) with GRT to tape. The backup user has full rights to the Exchange Organization and it's name is unique forest-wide!

When I try to enter the catalog of tapes, I have mailboxes, where I can see individual items in the Inbox and I have mailboxes, where 'None.' is displayed or I see subfolders and no items and just 'None.' is displayed. I know those mailboxes have items in their Inbox.

So what's going on here? I thought this was fixed with ...

Backup Exec 2012 Revision 1798 Hotfix 180964

... which later was incorporated into SP4, so there is no further need for Hotfix 180964, right?

That's a nasty bug and I really hope, that those items are in the backup, though not visible in the tape contents view.

Would like to know, if this bug is already known and will be fixed?

Regards,

DiWi

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...are the media servers set up exactly the same? Ie. The servers not showing mailboxes run AOFO when backing up Exchange vs. the others that don't?

If this is the case, then I'd suggest duplicating the Information Store to disk first, and then restoring from there.

If not, then consider opening a support case with Symantec to get this fixed. A service pack would contain all the HFs from the previous SP and any additional new patches.

Thanks!

DiWi
Level 4

Ok, just to clarify. I have the sympton with mailboxes having items and some having no items in the Inbox on every media server!

AOFO is deactivated on every job doing Exchange backup on all media servers. This was done ages ago, when I read here, that it's not recommended to use AOFO in jobs that do backups of Exchange Servers.

I have done duplicating the Information Store to disk only once. Must find a TID how to do that again.

Regards,

DiWi

DiWi
Level 4

Ok, how is duplication of Information Store (already on tape) to Backup-2-Disk folder done in Backup Exec 2012 ?

Regards,

DiWi

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Use this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH187271

DiWi
Level 4

Ok, I have found the solution a couple of minutes ago. Going to the catalog of a tape. Didn't found that immediately.

I will see, what can be found in the B2D-folder and compare the contents with the one, that can be found on tape.

Thanks anyway.

Regards,

DiWi

DiWi
Level 4

Using duplicate Information Store to B2D-folder results in visible items in the Inbox for the corresponding mailbox.

Seems to be a bug in Backup Exec 2012 SP4 with Hotfix 217347 that I see items in the Inbox on some mailboxes but not on all!

This is happening on 6 different media servers in different site locations running on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 all doing backup of a completely different Exchange 2003 SP2 server running on Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86.

A little bit annoying.

Regards,

DiWi

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I would still suggest opening a support call. You used to get that when using AOFO and backing up to tape in BE 12.5 and BE 2010...duplicating to disk was the work-around.

However, if the HF isn't working, then there might be something else wrong that needs to be looked at.

THanks!