cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1 Released

Turls
Level 6

Symantec has announced the global availability of Backup Exec 2012 SP1.  This service pack update to the Backup Exec 2012 product delivers enhancement requests that were received from our community in regards to the significant user interface changes introduced with the Backup Exec 2012 release. Here is a TECHNOTE that contains a list of known issues and enhancements resolved with Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 Service Pack 1.

Please read the Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1 Announcement Blog for more details.

66 REPLIES 66

chudless
Level 4

I was led to believe that you would be fixing the issue whereby the compression rates that are displayed all say 1:1 or 1.0:1 when in actual fact compression is taking place. It would be nice, saves clicking around and shows an instant rate of the compression.

Will it be fixed?

simonk27
Level 4

Updated to SP1, updated all agents. When I click backup now an error message appears(sorry, its german):

Der Server konnte den angeforderten Vorgang nicht abschließen. Unbekannter Grund: 1627652098. BEMSDK Failure Code: 1627652098:X8. Error: 1627652098:Database Exception 0x61040002, Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server, result:0x80040e14, Die Daten können nicht gespeichert werden, weil ein anderer Benutzer diese Informationen aktualisiert hat.

Any ideas? Rebooted the Backup Exec Server, restarted agent services. Same error.

EliasA
Employee CPEP

Simonk27, there should be a crash dump from BEMSDK tha we will need to collect and look at for this crash.  The error message you are hitting is indicating that the requested operation could not be completed.

Do you receive the same error if you attempt to create a new backup job and run it? or does that only happen when you click backup now on an existing job?

simonk27
Level 4

Thank you for your quick reply.

Where can I find the crash dump?

When I start an existing job, nothing happens. When I create and start an new job or edit an existing job, the above error message appears.

EliasA
Employee CPEP

Here is how you can gather the needed logs/crash dump.  Sorry for not including this information the first time:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH83408

simonk27
Level 4

Collected logs with vxgather, but cannot find a crash dump from BEMSDK.

Altough I found something in the debug monitor:
BESERVER: [03.06.12 21:28:26] [4348]     -1 SQLLog(3649):Database Exception Context:m_QueryTimeoutInSeconds=30 sql={CALL DBO.SAVETASKDEFINITION(?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)} Error:-536837662: :: -2147217900:Die Daten können nicht gespeichert werden, weil ein anderer Benutzer diese Informationen aktualisiert hat.

:: DB Error Set 0: native=0x61040002 source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server hr=0x80040e14 Die Daten können nicht gespeichert werden, weil ein anderer Benutzer diese Informationen aktualisiert hat.
BESERVER: [03.06.12 21:28:26] [4348]     -1 Error(16/18): 1627652098:Database Exception 0x61040002, source:Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server, result:0x80040e14, Die Daten können nicht gespeichert werden, weil ein anderer Benutzer diese Informationen aktualisiert hat.

placki
Level 2

Hi,

After applying SP1 I can't do my backups anymore - service "Backup Exec Server" crashes all the time :

Event ID: 1026 Source .NET Runtime

Application: beserver.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 0000000077AA4320

Event ID: 1000 Source Application Error

Faulting application name: beserver.exe, version: 14.0.1798.105, time stamp: 0x4fa3de95
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000054320
Faulting process id: 0x1c3c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd42338f5d5f86
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 5e55876a-ae27-11e1-8e7d-0013210788d7

Event ID 0 Source Backup Exec Management

Failed to configure ApplicationHA Console with the Backup Exec media server for Auto Recovery as a Backup Exec certificate could not be issued to the ApplicationHA Console.Check Backup Exec Root Certificates. ApplicationHA Console may not be properly configured or may be giving an improper CSR.

Any ideas ? Restarting services and rebooting server make na differences ;(

clovett
Level 4

I installed the service pack and now the beserver.exe process keeps increasing memory usage and then will crash,

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Windows Error Reporting
Date:          6/3/2012 9:16:06 PM
Event ID:      1001
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      FL-BACKUP-2008.Avatar.local
Description:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: beserver.exe
P2: 14.0.1798.105
P3: 4fa3de95
P4: StackHash_68a5
P5: 6.1.7601.17725
P6: 4ec4aa8e
P7: c0000374
P8: 00000000000c40f2
P9:
P10:

Markus_Hass
Level 2

Same Problem,

i just updated via LiveUpdate and now Backup Exec Server service stops working. You found a solution for this?

Regards,

Markus

zak2011
Level 6

SP1 is a total disaster. I am having more errors than fixes. How come there are so many problems with SP1 now?

EliasA
Employee CPEP

Zak2011, can you direct message me your contact information.  I'd like to get a better understanding of what issues you are running into and help you resolve those.

Arnault_P_
Level 2

Hello me too i have an another problem with the backup exec management service :

Platform/Version

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (x64-64bit)

Summary

After apply service pack 1 : The Backup Exec Management Service hung on starting event is logged whenever server is rebooted and take several minutes for open a session...

If i uninstalled it, the problem dissapears... I have found this article : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189830

When the problem is resolved ? Thanks for your help.

zak2011
Level 6

Sure. The errors i encountered were the following

1) Tried installing the SP1 using live update several times and it failed. Then i downloaded it manually and it got installed.

2) After that the Backup Job engine was crashing. It crashed twice in less than five minutes.

3) All the jobs that started to run appeared to be running and then failed twice.

Tried to uninstall SP1 by clicking the link provided by Symantec and does not work.

EliasA
Employee CPEP

Thanks for the additional details Zak2011.  Do you recall what the Live Update errors were you ran into? (I realize that you are past that, but I'd like to troubleshoot it if possible.)  The other items you mentioned, do you have some time to get on a call/session with you today to look at these issues with you?  I read the 3 items yo have indidcated, and others have indicated a crash as well....we are still trying to determine what is going on.

I'd like to get you up and running of course, and I just wanted to mention the following as a status....
As we are tracking the adoption of the SP1 update across our install base not everyone is running into these issues, so we don't have a general issue.  Something is going on, and I'm reaching out to those that are running into an issue to help out.  I'd like to get you up and running...just need to know how to reach you via phone.

Markus_Hass
Level 2

I managed to uninstall SP1 with the 2008R2 "Add or remove Programs" tool. After that i have 2012 with 4 Hotfixes running again. However SP1 is no longer offered to me via Liveupdate.

Regards,

Markus

EliasA
Employee CPEP

Markus_Hass, have you rebooted after the uninstall?  If yes and it still does not show up, please try to download SP1 from the here: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH186717

Markus_Hass
Level 2

Yes, i rebootet... the uninstall requires that. I think i will wait before i install SP1 again.

zak2011
Level 6

Thanks for your help and  quick response Elias. Unfortunately I had to  uninstall SP1 due to issues i was encountering.  Perhaps I could install it back once SP1 is stable.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

@clovett :If this crash is seen after increasing memory, we will need to understand if this memory usage was indeed required or it is some issue with our memory management. Do you have a support case open from where we can request some additional logs to have a better understanding of the issue?