cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1 Released

Turls
Level 6

Symantec has announced the global availability of Backup Exec 2012 SP1.  This service pack update to the Backup Exec 2012 product delivers enhancement requests that were received from our community in regards to the significant user interface changes introduced with the Backup Exec 2012 release. Here is a TECHNOTE that contains a list of known issues and enhancements resolved with Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 Service Pack 1.

Please read the Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1 Announcement Blog for more details.

66 REPLIES 66

zak2011
Level 6

I had to do a restore job from tape now. When i did a scan on the tape which consisted of monthly backups which has a retension of one year, it showed me as scracth media with no backup sets. After cataloging the tape again, the media set has gone to Backup and WindowsNT default media set and it shows the data. I guess this has happened after SP1 has been uninstalled.

Rogo
Level 2

I just moved from 2010R3 to 2012 last week. The results were less than spectacular. Now I have installed SP1 yesterday....  wow, what a disaster. Experiencing the same BE Engine service shutting down. Also my disk media will sporadically fall off line.

I uninstalled SP1 this morning and will monitor this thread for a fix. I'm less than happy with Symantecs performance in this.

EliasA
Community Manager
Community Manager
Employee CPEP

Zak (and anyone else encountering this error with SP1) - Please feel free to send me a DM with your email address, so that I can send you an email as soon as we have the fix for this issue some users are encountering.

InSixDays
Level 4

I had the same problem after the SP1 update.  I ended up doing a repair installation from the control panel and then Programs and Features.  Then after a requested reboot I did a liveupdate and the system said it was up to date.  That fixed the problem for me.

Max123456789
Level 2

Backup Server services stops (after every job?). Any solutions?

zak2011
Level 6

Hi Max,

I have been encountering the same issues yesterday after SP1. Just remove it  from Program and Features in server 2008 and go to installed updates and remove it and do not use it for now until further notice from Symantec. Remmeber to reboot your server. I logged a case with Symantec few minutes ago and they have gathered some logs and will get back. Until then i am not installing SP1.

zak2011
Level 6

Just talked to Symantec Technical support and they have been asked not to recommend anyone from installing SP1. They said proabably the stable version of SP1 should be out by the end of the week.

Thanks!

chudless
Level 4

And what about those of us who have installed it - will the new release of SP1 mean we have to uninstall SP1 and install the 'good' one?

zak2011
Level 6

The information received now from Symantec technical support is not to encourage anyone to install the current SP1 until the issues are resolved. I faced many problems with SP1 and had to uninstall it inorder to get my backups up and running again. 

From what i have seen, almost everyone who installed SP1 including myself had problems. If you dont have any issues, perhaps you could keep it. Best thing would be to log a call and get their confirmation.

Brian_Brophy
Level 2
Employee

Hello everyone,

There is a known issue with the current release of Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1 that can cause beserver.exe to crash on some installations. We are working on a fix for this and will release it as Service Pack 1a as soon as we are confident this resolves the issue.

Once Service Pack 1a is released you will be able to download it off of the Technote and from Live Update.  It will install over the current SP1 that you have in place, not requiring you to uninstall the first revision.

simonk27
Level 4

I needed to reinstall my Windows server, because Symantec couldn't provide me with a solution. I opened a ticket monday morning europe time and no helping fix until now. This is taking too long, so I decided to reinstall my Windows machine - a lot of work, but a working solution.

placki
Level 2

I notice a few things - maybe they will be helpful for somebody:

- after installing SP1 via LiveUpdate I'm unable to uninstall it

- in other installation, which I know, after manual install (from exe file) there was possibility to rollback 

- I've got info from some Symantec employee that repairing BE2012 installation through the Add/Remove Programs helped in same cases but in my case it didnt work at all (repairing process crashes with some error message)

- sometimes right after server reboot when I open console and I dont touch anything I can see that some jobs started automatically are running fine and are finished. When I click something service crashes almost immediately

no-hoper
Level 2

I installed the SP1 today, since it has been installed i have not been able to access my Backup exec console as the services are not starting. I uninstalled the sp1 but i am still unable to do it. I have also done a repair on my backup exec installation but with no luck. Is there a work around for this services issue that i havn't seen yet? as i would really like to be able to run my backups tonight.

dlt1928
Level 3

Why hasn't Symantec removed the SP1 download??  Seems they 'tested' the SP1 like they 'tested' the 2012 release.  What a debacle!!!  Fortunately I did some research before I downloaded SP1.  wish I had done that BEFORE I upgraded to 2012.

Symantec you need to get it together.  Backups are a VITAL operation of any organization.  If your R&D and quality control can’t get it together you’ll force many of us to look at other solutions.  I, for one, DO NOT have time to be your guinea pig!

Steve_Kratz
Level 4
Partner

So what do those of us with screwed up backups do to safeguard our servers in the meantime? Do we need to research a different product in the meantime and install that instead?

EliasA
Community Manager
Community Manager
Employee CPEP

The issue identified in this thread about SP1 does not affect every user of SP1, while I understand it is affecting those that have posted here (and a few other posts on SymConnect).  Please check out this technote for the current work around: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH190313 (if you are hitting the serdll.dll error).
We have also had many users indicate that a repair operation from Add/Remove of Backup Exec and a reboot resolved the issue for them.

Max123456789
Level 2

Done another "install options and licenses on this server" and a reboot. Backup was OK last night.

Sorry. Problems are back. Backup Server Service crashes.

raelsprinkler
Level 2

I have the same issue. I just did a repair and still the Backup Exec Serivce keeps stopping. I am getting the following Event log (application):

Faulting application name: beserver.exe, version: 14.0.1798.105, time stamp: 0x4fa3de95

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x00000000000c40f2

Faulting process id: 0x17ec

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd442670f75861

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 56496de1-b01a-11e1-b0f9-782bcb34662e

I am NOT able to run ANY Backups! This needs to be fixed ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zak2011
Level 6

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the information. Since SP1 has caused lots of unforseen problems, why does Symantec still have it on the Live update. Also shouldn't there be  an official notification  to all Symantec customers that there has been issues with SP1 and   steps providing the necessary resolution or atleast an official info that SP1a will be out. I got this info only after contacting support several times.

no-hoper
Level 2

I managed to get my Symantec working again but not how i wanted to. I had to completly remove it from my server and re-install in order to get it working again like it was a fresh install. Due to this i was able to carry out my nightly backup's apart from one failed with:

" The job failed with the following error: For this operation, the Backup Exec Virtual File Filter (VFF) driver must be installed on the Backup Exec server.  The VFF driver is installed when you install any of the following Backup Exec agents or options:

Exchange Agent
Active Directory Recover Option
VMware Virtual Infrastructure Agent
Microsoft Virtual Server Agent "

which is one i haven't seen before, i was trying to backup a Domain Controller and the agent on it was the same as it has always been. Anyway i am sure i will figure it out. Just thought i would let people who where in the same position as me where the current work arounds/fixes are not working for them they will have to bite the bullet and start again and possibly do a restore of there backup server after.