cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1a Released

Turls
Level 6

Backup Exec 2012 SP1a has been released today. Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1a will replace/supercede the previously released Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1.

Here is a TECHNOTE that contains a list of known issues and enhancements resolved with Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 Service Pack 1a.

120 REPLIES 120

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the guy has been posting for a while around this and people have been replying so I think he has a right to post here...wink

If it relates to SP1a, then there would be no problems.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Boris,

It may be easier if you open a new topic for your issues.

But here is a link for troubleshooting vmware snapshot issues.
It has listed BE2010 as product, but most of the suggestions also apply to BE2012.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129724

chudless
Level 4

Apologies; I didn't notice that this was not about the subject I'd raised in another thread :)

John_Sirabella
Not applicable

My backup exec is hung today after manually updating sp1a and then performing the process through liveupdate and then applying the both hotfixes through live up.  My backup exec was hung.  My server became unstable.  My server had 161gb on the c: drive and went down to 0 bytes free.  What is the deal with this software.  We are running windows 2008 r2 x64 and we can't seem to get it really stable for sometime.  It appears the so-called updates are making matters worse.

What can be done here to address my problems?

John

Boris_Minakov
Level 3

Backup Exec 2012 SP1 is not ready for Server 2012 RC. During installation i got compatability warnings, but installing. Today will check the same errors on new operating system and will let you know

Boris_Minakov
Level 3

Did testing, on Server 2012 RC the same error "BEremote" crash during server backup, server has "File and Print Services" role installed

Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 14.0.1798.0, time stamp: 0x4f1e02d7
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010acd2
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000ea2b9
Faulting process id: 0x6e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd759815045817
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 8447b65a-e190-11e1-93eb-000c2989255e
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 14.0.1798.0, time stamp: 0x4f1e02d7
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010acd2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000005579
Faulting process id: 0x6f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd75a2c9391005
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
Report Id: 105d040b-e199-11e1-93ed-000c2989255e
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

David_Palmersto
Level 4

Boris -

You've been working this one for quite a while - sorry you haven't found a solution yet..

Here's an idea if you haven't tried it yet -

Login to the remote server as an admin, start the backup exec agent utility, have the UI open with a short refresh time, now kick off the backup - do you get more/different/better errors in the event viewer?  Having the GUI open may make a difference in the information you collect.

There is also a way to put the beremote into debug mode on the remote server (check the technotes to find how - I don't have the reference) this may help as well.

Good Luck

Boris_Minakov
Level 3

Dear David,

As discussed yesterday i am updating this article, with details i have sent you by email:

My infrastructure contains:

1) 1 Physical server with Windows 2008R2 and Backup Exec 2012 installed.

2) ESXI VSphere 5 server with 3 Virtual machines (Use this as a test environment)

BEremote.exe is not crashing on agent VM site, it is crashing on BE 2012 server, when updating catalog is in progress.

I use VM agent to backup machnes and have GRT enabled.

BEremote.exe fails\crash when i try to backup machine with File and Print server role installed. All other machines are done fine. I suppose there might be some compatability issue with BE and this server role.

I am goint to make test you advices to remove this role and backup again. i will update you with details later 

Out of topic:

Also another Symantec Product: System recovery 2011 is extecting the strange issue when it is installed on a server with File and print role.

If you have Windows 2008R2 + File and print server role + Symantec System Recovery 2011

You can not install "Light out restore fechure" unless you remove this role. (This error was fixed in 2013 Beta versions of this product, but anyway issue were there for 2011 line)

mdwdrw
Level 3

Hello, it is the middle of the night and once again my Backup Exec Job Engine stopped after my Exchange duplicate to tape job has run. Not during the job, but during the next job that runs. Searching the first error I came across this thread. Process bengine.exe requested memory dump but the maximum number of memory dumps has already been reached.

My environment. Server 2008. Backup Exec 2012 UAC is disabled. All updates have been applied or appear to have been applied. After reading this thread, I am not so sure. Add remove programs does not show SP1 or SP1a. This happens  on Thursday night's backups. I run the same backup schedule all week long except for the weekend when we do all full backups. This is the last night of our Exchange 2003 Incremental before the next full. There is a Catalog process that happens while the duplicate to tape is running. The Weekend full has not had any problems. I have tried different media, juggled the schedule for the next job etc. When this happens, the next event viewer error is.

Faulting application bengine.exe, version 14.0.1798.107, time stamp 0x4fe0a703, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03821, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00066796, process id 0x810, application start time 0x01cd9725e949187e.

The last event is the engine stopping. Because this is happening mid backup, the media is flagged as Not appendable (End marker unreadable) So, restarting the service and resuming will not backup to this tape and there is not enough time left in the night to start from scratch on erased media. The failed jobs are also placed on hold. If I take them off hold, they try to run immediately. Rescheduling does not seem to help. I need to let them start and cancel one by one.

Under installed updates, I see Service Pack 1, Hotfix 189571 and 180964. When I run live update, I see tonight there is another hot fix 199470 which must be very new. I check once a week. I really miss BE 8.6 and veritas. It was solid as a rock.  mark

EliasA
Employee CPEP

mdwdrw, do you have a support case open on this issue?  If not, please get in touch with our support group.  We would like to have you work with them so thatt they can grab the crash dump to investigate why this happened.

cord
Level 4

Still having issues with some Agent Managed Servers Backups Failing to due to Read / Write Errors

Description of our problem:
I have 1 Agent Managed Server that fails its backup to the Dedupe Storage Device about 1-2 times per week. All Other Agent Managed Servers are not having this issue. The problems are always related either one of two errors: Error to either Read or Write data to Media. I am including screen shots of each error along with Windows Event Logs for each error off of the Media Server. No logs are available from the actual Agent Managed Server.

Also, there are no errors showing on our Dedupe Storage Device and all other Servers are backing ok.

Summary of our Environment
Backup Exec 2012 sp1a
Media Server:
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 64-Bit
Attached NAS via iSCSI is our Dedupe Device
Total # of Agent Managed Servers: 6 (7 including Media Server)
All Agent Managed Server are running MS Windows Server OS 2003 32-Bit and also 2008 R2 Std and Ent

Backup Exec Error Codes: E00084EC and E00084ED

MS Windows Application Event log Event ID's: 57665 and 34113

See attached images for details on error messages

mjb2012
Level 2

Hi Im running the BACKUPEXEC 2012 Aooliance and have found it to be very unstable. I have multiple calls open with symantec support whom are forever dragging endless logs from the machine. When working its very good but I cant remember the last time this happened. Its very frustrating! 

My lastest issue is the Backup EXEC engine is failing every night. I cannot see any pattern not can i See anything in the DMP file that tells me where to look. 

Anyone shed any light on where to lookup?

BE3600 Appliance Server 2008 x64 R2

updates:

sp1

Hotfix 189571, 180964, 194470, 199866, 200433

Error from event log:

Faulting application name: bengine.exe, version: 14.0.1798.109, time stamp: 0x504654f4
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000532d0
Faulting process id: 0x10e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdd48d8b25432d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe
Report Id: 43c4ec18-40b6-11e2-9c8b-001e67151dae

rpatty
Level 4

Joshua, I ran into this problem, and your run-as-administrator suggestion fixed the issue. However, I'm a little distressed to note your suggestion was from 6 months ago, and the software is still giving this kind of error. Shame it hasn't been fixed to give us more useful or intuitive advice.

chidi
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Everyone,

I have this issue with backup exec 2012 services not starting after restarting the media server, i did upgrade  from 2010 to 2012 which is seating on windows 2003 standard edition... I have also installed backup exec 2012 service park 1, it`s funny the only workaround that allows me to run backups is repairing the software...Please i would appreciate any help from you guys...

Thank you...

EliasA
Employee CPEP

Please reference this MS KB article, hope it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314357

Have you also attempted to manually stop all Backup Exec Services and restart them?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

??? What does this have to do with the information provided?

EliasA
Employee CPEP

My comment was in response to user "okay" on the previous page. Somehow my reply got moved to page 2. :(

BCUK
Level 2

Still have an issue with the backup properties window!

When you open this the window is always too big for the screen so once you have edited a backup you have to resize the window from the top, then drag it up so you can get to the 'Ok' and cancel buttons.

Very Very Annoying!!!

Has anyone else come across this??

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello there,

I think this is moreover an issue regarding to the Resolution of the screen.

Have you tried to change the resolution of the desktop anf then see if you face this issue?

Thanks,

-Sush...

BCUK
Level 2

Thanks Sush,

My server is 1024x768 max resolution.

I think the problem was when opening the backup properties to edit, it always expands to show all shares in the not selected section (left) so the window is rendered to show all the shares on the server pushing it off the bottom of the screen! collapsing the not selected box shrinks the window so the missing controls are now visible! So you still have to collapse this every time you want to save an edited backup! I tried it on the remote administration console also on my 1280x1024 desktop and the results are still the same! if you have a lot of shares the window renders below the screen bottom! Thanks Bob.