cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - Snapshot Technology - v-79-10000-11217 error

Bluegrass_CS
Level 2

Hi,

Since upgrade to 2012 we are seeing the above errors for one hyper v VM in particular. Below are the exceptions taken directly from the job log,

Backup- DCA-IRIS1.domain.local - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "DCA-IRIS1.domain.local\MSSQLSERVER". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-10000-11217 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot failed. Make sure that all provider services and tasks are running. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Backup - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\DCA-IRIS1.domain.local\F:". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

V-79-10000-11217 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot failed. Make sure that all provider services and tasks are running. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

- Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\DCA-IRIS1.domain.local\E:". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

As you can see it just seems to skip any VSS on DCA-IRIS1. Whilst the backup is running, vssadmin list writers on dca-iris1 shows the ASR writer as failed Error State 7. Once the backup has finished with the above exceptions the ASR writer returns to no error.

Server has been rebooted and is on latest updates.

I've attached the log from the remote agent itself that were captured during the said backup.

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Try reregistering the VSS *.dlls on the server in question. No reboot required. Then try the backup again.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486

Thanks!

Bluegrass_CS
Level 2

Hi sorry, i should of mentioned i already tried this which stopped the backups from completely failing but now gives me completed with exceptions. The exceptions posted above.)

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...for exceptions, make sure that AOFO is enabled in your job...

Bluegrass_CS
Level 2

Snapshot technology is ticked and it's set to automatically select.