cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Stops Working on Next Full Backup/Drive Swap

hovester
Level 2

My client is using Backup Exec 2012 and is setup with a full backups on Thursdays and incremental backups on Friday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. They have three external drives that get swapped before the next full backup. The backups will stop when the drive is swapped and scheduled for the next full backup. I have to restart the services as a temporary fix. When I do the Backup Exec Job Engine hangs, so I'll have to kill the process in order to complete the restart.

I did some checking into the Event logs and found the following error around the time it fails: Event ID 33808, An error occurred while processing a B2D command. Changer: CreatePath() CreateDirectory1failed (\\?). Error=123. I ran the command to look up the error and it is as follows: the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. I've researched this and old found the temporary solution to restart the services. I'm hoping to find a perminent solution and any assistance would be appreciated.

Brian

4 REPLIES 4

EliasA
Community Manager
Community Manager
Employee CPEP

What service pack of Windows 2012 is installed?
(Run LiveUpdate to ensure you have the latest applied)

Also take a look at this link if it helps with the errror message:
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH130540

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

how are the drives connected to the Backup Exec server

We do support detaching USB drives or ejecting RDX cartridges

BUT

do not support  if they are connected to a different host and accessed over shares instead of directly.

If you do access over shares then typically when you disconnect them they do eventually get marked as offline, but reconnection cannot auto-detect so you have to do a service restart after reconnection to see share level devices that have gone offline.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Also I hope you are not performing GRT operations and detaching the drive containing the full backup prior to running incremental or differential backups

Basically the GRT (differential or incremental) process needs access to the chain back to and included the last full which means the disks have to remain online until you switch to the next full.

There is one of three external USB drives that are part of a Backup disk pool rotated with one drive always connected.  The drive gets swapped on Thursdays for the full backup and incrementals.  The drive is connected to the same host that BE is running on.