cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Storage Backup Fails

OneoOne
Level 2

Hi

So we are backing up our storage servers which have a capacity of almost 30 TB, we use an StorageLoader(Quantum Scalar i40) which are connected to the two Storageserver over iSCSI.

Were still using Backup Exec 2012 SP4, to be honest there is no advice in just saying to update to the new Backup Exec 2014 to resolve the problem because sometimes it is working and sometimes not which is really a pain in the butt.

So this week i run into this problem again which firstly said we have a corrupted tape which really isn't BE fault.

So after the full backup failed because of the faulty tape i started the incremental job to backup the rest of the files because there isn't enough space on the tapes to do a full backup again and i can't just change the tapes because there is the other job which is backed up our other storage server!

Today the incremental job failed again, saying "V-79-57344-33967 - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed." happend on a few files because they were in use and then it resumed and a few seconds later there is the same job which just saying it failed "Final Error: 0x800004005 - Unspecified error". Why?

There is only the event in the Backup Exec Media Server no events exist on the storage server.

16-09-2014 11-07-41.png

I started the incremental job again now let's see whats happen.

The other Full Backup is working flawless!

There is no right conflict, AOFO is turned on and the VSS Writers don't have any errors!

Mediaserver: W2008R2 Std. Storageservers: W2008R2 Std.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. Is the media server a separate server? 2. Why is the tape library attached to the storage servers? Shouldn't it be attached to the media server?

OneoOne
Level 2

Oh i was out of my mind..

Yeah the Media server is a separate server..and the tape drives/library are attached to the media server blush

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Once the full backup fails, it is no use. You need to rerun your full backup before proceeding with your incremental backup.

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

like PKH said: If your full backup fails, the incremental and differential backup will all fail until the next full backup.

incremental and differential backups are based on the most recent full backup. If the last full fails, you will need to run it again before proceeding with incremental and differential backups