cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - USB Drives Empty after Backup Completes?

RodneyC
Level 4

Customer has Backup Exec 2012 version 14.0 Rev 1789 64bit on Windows Server 2008 Std, then Hyper-v with an SBS 2011 & Windows 2008 Server.

I've setup the USB drives and add them to a pool. So the USB drives are mapped (in symantec) as Path E:\BEData\ and some are \\?\Volume{90581176-08c3-11e2-b842-9c8e994d27b3}\BEData\. I had problems in the past until I changed them all to be then same letter because some where M:\BEData (deleted from symantec, formated drive, changed letter, add to symantec devices, re-add to pool), problem solved I thought.

It now seems the backup finish, they say 100% complete, everything looks fine in symantec, it even tells me which drive they backed up to BUT the drives empty. If I look at the drive properties and view the backup sets they are empty but the history shows all ok?

Customer called today, backup completed but he looked at the drive himself and its empty, I've double checked symantec and the drive myself and he's right, symantec is all ok but they drives empty for some of the jobs.

It's not the first time either, I've re-installed syamnetc before becaue of this and its come back. If its not symantec stopping drives from working with a red cross/red pen its saying its complete yet theres nothing written to the drive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RodneyC
Level 4
Issue was due to the number of days to keep backup for. I was set for 1 hour and being deleted. Changed to 5 days. now all ok.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RodneyC
Level 4

This is how my backups are configured https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks-be-2012

I don't however get the option to define them as Disk Cartridge Device when I set them up.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot use mapped drives with BE.  Mapped drives are associated with an online session.  BE runs as a batch job.   You must use their UNC path when you are adding storage.

RodneyC
Level 4

Thanks for the reply, how do I add them using the UNC path?

RodneyC
Level 4

ok, removed the drive letter in windows, re-added drive, testing backup now.

RodneyC
Level 4
Backups still running and complete but drive are empty. Any help would be appreciated.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Define a atorage on an internal disk, target your job to this new storge and see what is the result.

Also, check your job job to see what media is being used for your job and search the remote server for these files.

RodneyC
Level 4

Since my last update, I created a brand new job and got the same result. If I backup just a few small files, all is ok. I'm running a backup now and I can see the size of the drive decrease, the only thing that sprung to mind this morning was the time I'd set the backup job to keep backups was set to 1hr, I wonder if Symantec deletes the backup before I check so I've extended it to 5 days and I’m running a backup now to check.

I could possibly shrink the hd and create a partition to backup to there, will try that next failing the above.

RodneyC
Level 4
Issue was due to the number of days to keep backup for. I was set for 1 hour and being deleted. Changed to 5 days. now all ok.