cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 V-RAY and Windows Server 2012 support?

MiTu
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

I have VMware vSphere 5.1 Server (Essentials Kit) and Backup Exec 2012 V-RAY backup server. I have couple of problems:

Windows Server 2012 STD (AD DS server role installed) VMware guest server backup doesn't seem to work ok. I have installed "Windows Agent" on the server (because of GRT support), but I'm backing up whole VMware server with one backup job to tape drive. Whole image backup of the guest computer (according to log) seem to be ok, but GRT backup feature doesn't work:

Backup- VMVCB::\\x.x.x.x\VCGuestVm\(DC)ha-datacenter(DC)\vm\xxxx-srv01
V-79-57344-38725 - One or more virtual disks contain volumes that do not support Granular Recovery Technology (GRT). Granular restores cannot be performed for these volumes.

I tried to disable "Virtual machine Application GRT Settings" of backup job, but it doesn't make any difference? When I installed "Windows Agent" on the server I noticed that Windows 2012 Server OS was complaining something like "this software has know issues (problems?)"? I'm just wondering is Server 2012 really fully supported by Backup Exec 2012?! All the available updates are installed to Backup Exec.

- MiTu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
14 REPLIES 14

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Windows Server 2012  & ESX 5.1 are not supported as of yet & will be in the near future.

You may be interested in registering for the BETA for the next update of Backup Exec which will support these new technologies  - https://symbeta.symantec.com/callout/?callid=52801D5ABA034CC18A15C8E8E5CB2F99

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the blog below describes support around this, and there is a link to the Beta registration page:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/announcing-new-beta-backup-exec

https://symbeta.symantec.com/callout/?callid=52801D5ABA034CC18A15C8E8E5CB2F99

Thanks!

MiTu
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for the information!

Strange that backup seem to work with other VMware guests (Windows 2003, Windows 2008) ok even it's not supported (ESX 5.1)?

CraigV

Windows Server 2012 and vSphere 5.1 are not supported currently, but will be.

MiTu
Level 4
Partner

Agent based backup of guest machines is only choise in this situation, because ESX 5.1 is not supported? 

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

RAWS based backups should be fine for supported OS & not for VMs running 2012

CraigV

...and don't listen to anybody on the forum telling you that they got it working (and they're apparently happy putting up with failed backups every now-and-again!)...you won't get any support.

Thanks!

MiTu
Level 4
Partner

Ok! I decided to go with RAWS based backups now and wait ESX 5.1 support update for BE2012. I have to do disk backups of Windows Server 2012 guest server with Windows Server Backup (to backup servers disk and from there to tape drive)

It would be nice have some idea when support is going to be available?

CraigV

...you have the wrong idea here. There is NO support for either of Windows Server 2012 or vSphere 5.1 at this point in time. Install RAWS on those servers (if it works!) and you're unsupported...

Join the Beta on the link provided to get access to the patch that WILL allow support. Be aware it is a beta, and it is preferable you don't install in a production environment.

Thanks!

MiTu
Level 4
Partner

Yes it's maybe unsupported, but only available solution right now to take backups? It's not an option to be without backups and I think it doesn't make any sense to install older VMware server anymore.

CraigV

....so have you joined the Beta programme yet??? If not, please do so...

Also, you should always check the version of BE that you either have, or want to install, to see if your software is supported or not.

Thanks!

john_ts
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Its been way too long since VMware released 5.1 (last August i think). Why is it taking so long for an update to support this?

Drew_Meyer
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Thanks VJware and CraigV. You guys are right - no support today but planned release generally available in July.

MiTu, the beta is the best way to get a copy of BE that you can use to test back ups for Windows Server 2012 and vSphere 5.1 right now.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited