cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 V-Ray

Southamptonred
Level 3

We currently use Backup Exec 2012 SP2 and are looking at a product to do all of our backup strategy

Currently we use a product to backup the particular VM machines to a disk location and then use BE to back up to tape.

I saw a mail from Symantec regarding V-Ray and thought this might do the job for us however when trying to download this to test it out it appears I get the same version of BE as we currently use (is this correct)

I am also trying to get my head around what information is required by our partner to get a proper quote for this

Thoughts anyone?

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
V-Ray is just a licencing bundle. The underlying software is the same as the regular BE. The V-Ray edition is licenced on a per occupied socket basis

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

V-Ray is just a bundle of licenses sold as a package and these license enable abilities that are part of the product installation anyway (just disabled or in evaluation mode depending on the history of usuing BE on the server) Hencer yes what you downloaded is what you already have.

As such to evaluate V-Ray all you need to do is go through the installer for the BE you already have installed and in the screen just after the licenses screen, enable the trial of the agents to cover your environment (Either Hyper-V or VMware plus the database agents)

Once you have done this, then in the list of servers to backup you need to add the virtual hosts in (again exactly what you need to add in depends on Hyper-V or Vmware implementation) and then configure jobs to protect the VMs via this host object.

Southamptonred
Level 3

Thanks for that Colin

Any idea what information I need to supply to our Symantec partner to get a proper quote?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To be honest tech support don't usually deal with licensing queries as such if you intend working with a partner then they should be able to advise. If not working with a partner then contact our customer care team (who do deal with license queries but don't usually monitor these forums)

Southamptonred
Level 3

Thanks again Colin

I have mailed our partner if I dont get any joy from them I will speak to customer care