cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 VMDK restore from tape is too slow (33mb/min)

suraya
Level 4
Partner Certified

Hi, anyone else is facing this issue when backup Exec 2012 SP4 restores a full vmdk (not GRT) from tape?

Issues:

a) We had to redirect the restore directly to the Esx instead of thru vCenter due to creating vm process takes 5 hours to complete

b) After redirecting restore to the Esx, the restore could progress however est time to complete restore of 700GB vmdk = 15 days.

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The tape backup set needs to be staged to disk before the actual restore begins which can account for the slowness.  Try duplicating the backup set to disk and then do a restore from the disk backup set.

suraya
Level 4
Partner Certified

Good idea. :)

Will try that and update later.                                            

Thanks.

suraya
Level 4
Partner Certified

Unfortunately, after duplicating to local disk, the restore from local disk to the datastore worsens to 12mb/min.

Now we're testing to group the Esx server together with the backup server, tape lib and datastore storage into one zone on the San switch.

suraya
Level 4
Partner Certified

I have actually logged this case to Tech Support few days ago as customer needs this data urgently.

We managed to get them to wait but up till now we did not get any support from Symantec.

Case has been raised to S1 but unfortunately, still no urgency can be seen.

Customer has requested for us to lodge a formal complaint and to replace BE with other backup software.

Anyway, I still need to restore this data and now restoring directly to BE server's local disk.

From 15 days, now the restore est time is 6 days with 70mb/min transfer rate. :(

Come on Support team, please help!

*note: previous backups with GRT-enabled keeps failing but after disable GRT, backups can complete.

lmosla
Level 6

Hi suraya,  DM me your support case # so I can see what's going on with your case and support.