cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012: What is the difference between Agent for Hyper-V and Agent for VMware

Typeroon
Level 3

The BE 2012 Administration Guide discuss both.    It is pretty clear what the VMware agent does but when I read about the Hyper-V agent, it seems to be the same thing.    Or I did not understand at all.

Thanks for clarifying this for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6

Hello Typeroon,

The Hyper-V agent (Microsoft) is designed specifically for backing up Hyper-V architecture and VMware is designed for protecting a vSphere architecture

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

lmosla
Level 6

Hello Typeroon,

The Hyper-V agent (Microsoft) is designed specifically for backing up Hyper-V architecture and VMware is designed for protecting a vSphere architecture

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The two agents are for two different hypervisors.  These hypervisors are different.  However, their function is similiar, i.e., they are used to backup the VM's under these hypervisors.

Typeroon
Level 3

ok Thank you very much.   I did not know what Hyper-V was.     I tought it was something related to VMware (some kind of VMware subsystem or anything like that).    Since we are using VMware ESX 5.51 host, I only need to focus on the VMware agent and forget the Hyper-V agent.

Thanks again for the quick clarification you provided.