cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Windows Client software issue

rthomson
Level 2

We have been using Backup Exec for 11 years. We recently installed Backup Exec 2012 for Windows, which by the way has a totally new layout. The "Windows Client Agent" manager product is somethinig called "Desktop Laptop option 7.0 Win 1-10 Users" or "Symantec DLO". This product requires a Windows Active Directory or Domain for the installation to authenicate against. We don't have a domain and are not planning to install in the near future. IS there an alternative or workaround to the "Symantec DLO". Why did Symantec change the old licensing model, from inside the Backup Exec Server manager console?

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

All we have done is make DLO a separate product, the old DLO versions needed a Domain as well and actually had their own console. This has not changed although there did used to be a link in the BE console.

Edit: Oh and all we have really done is consolidate NBU DLO (which was always a separate purchase) with BE DLO to have only one product instead of two.

rthomson
Level 2

I don't recall ever having to use a DLO module, product or console. All the Agent Licensing and handled inside or through the Backup Exec Console. I have never run into the warning "Workgroups are not supported in thie relase. A domain is required".  We have many clients using the Backup Exec products and have for many years and not all have Domains.Is there a work around, say not using the DLO for Licensing for the Windows Client at all. If not can we downgrade to BE 12.5 as an example to get areounf this Domain Requirement ?

BillB_of_the_BE
Level 3
Employee

I may be misinterpreting your original text, but were you using DLO before you upgraded to BE 2012?   DLO and the Agent for Windows Systems are different animals and DLO is completely optional and unneeded if you are simply wanting to upgrade your traditional Backup Exec installation that never included DLO.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I agree with Bill, looks like you have assumed something you did in older versions of BE is now called DLO, however DLO has always existed. I hope you are not getting confused with Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) which is now called Symantec System Recovery (SSR) and is a completely different product with its own licensing and its own support forum. I guess it is either that or you are looking for how to manage standard remote agents for Windows like Bill has suggested.

rthomson
Level 2

Thanks, For the feed back. How or want product or licensing model gets us back to the traditional way of licensing the BE 2012 "Windows Client or Agents" and away from the "DLO" product. It sounds like the vendar that sold us the "Deltop Laptop 7.0 Win option sold us the wrong Windows Client Agent?

BillB_of_the_BE
Level 3
Employee

It is possible that the vendor might have been confused depending on your requirements.   DLO is recommended for laptop protection because it provides automatic protection in a semi-connected environment, but you can use the Agent for Windows Systems to protect it the same way you protect servers just fine.  Note that DLO should NOT be used to protect servers, however.   Colin can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you are looking for Agent for Windows Systems licenses.