Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 and 12.5 in same domain

Ryan_H_
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello,

We have a setup where I have one backup exec 12.5 server and 2 backup exec media servers,  some of my clients are on windows 2000 and some are on windows 2008. I have one physical library connected on FC shared with 3 servers.

Now, we got one new server in the same zone set, and we need to install backup exec 2012 on it. and we want to keep the backup exec 12.5 server for windows 2000 clients as BE 2012 is not supported for Windows 2000. We will move the jobs windows 2008 clients on BE 2012 server.

In short, I want new BE 2012 for windows 2008 clients and the old BE 12.5 for windows 2000 clients. 

I want to know how to done this job, what is the best solution for it.

Regards,

S-

8 REPLIES 8

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Q. In short, I want new BE 2012 for windows 2008 clients and the old BE 12.5 for windows 2000 clients. I want to know how to done this job, what is the best solution for it. Ans You are right ,BE2012 doesn't support win2000 for backup. So you can perform backup using 12.5 media server. I am not sure though if library is shared between 3 media server and again different version of BE is installed on it how would they manage the shared library because in this case we have SAN SSO option which help this set up were library is shared between 3 servers and you wants to manage devices on all 3 server ,for same but BE should be on same version either BE12.5 or BE2012. it gives you the additional capability of centralizing the solution where you have all different Backup Exec servers managed by a central database. So, one of the servers where you install SSO becomes a primary server, and all other servers are secondary. Technically no difference, all are Backup Exec servers, but a server designated as primary holds the device and media information and also catalogs. The secondary servers send the informaiton about their devices to primary server's database and management of devices and media becomes easier. Now, if you do a backup of a remote machine from one of these media servers, and only RAWS is installed on that target server, no BE, you dont leverage SAN then, and data flows to the media server through LAN and then media server dumps it to the device through fiber. http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO24254 But then your intend is not to take this advantage of share library then you can keep 3 different media server with different version of backup exec installed and backup client with each particular media server as you only can install one version of remote agent on client which is either BE12.5 or BE2012. Hope that helps. Thanks

Ryan_H_
Level 4

Hello,

Let me clear the situation little more,

I have only 3 servers which are on windows 2000 and for those servers backup is running over LAN through primary backup exec 12.5 server.

Other than this,  there are two media servers on windows 2003 where backup is running over SAN. so that I can upgrade those media server to Backup Exec 2012.

New Plan 

BE 2012 

Media Server 2012

Media Server 2012

Exsisting BE server 12.5 

All servers should access tape library.

Now, Should I install Backup Exec 2012 on new server and copy the catalog from 12.5 to that one. or should I have to do the fresh installation. so both 12.5 and 2012 have seprate catalog.

further, what will be the snerio with library.

Regards,

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Q. Now, Should I install Backup Exec 2012 on new server and copy the catalog from 12.5 to that one. or should I have to do the fresh installation. so both 12.5 and 2012 have seprate catalog. further, what will be the snerio with library. Ans I think for sharing library with different version of media server is not the way here so your plan of 2 media server with BE2012 and sharing library is good a plan here. About catalog no need to worry about it ,as when restore is required ,you can inventory the tape and catalog it from scratch on BE2012 so to a restore ,so I think you can start with new installation on both the media server considering major changes in BE2012 as compared to old version. Hope that helps. Thanks

Ryan_H_
Level 4

Thanks BE,

So you are saying that I have to install BE 2012 separtely and keep the old BE 12.5 as it is.

So both servers have their own catalog. 

Rest I will recreate the backup jobs for windows 2008 and windows 2003 servers on BE 2012 server.

Keep both the media servers in the same SAN zone so that library can be shared no matter which version and catalog BE servers are using.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Q. So you are saying that I have to install BE 2012 separtely and keep the old BE 12.5 as it is. So both servers have their own catalog. Rest I will recreate the backup jobs for windows 2008 and windows 2003 servers on BE 2012 server. Keep both the media servers in the same SAN zone so that library can be shared no matter which version and catalog BE servers are using. Ans Yes ,that would be the ideal way were BE12.5 can manage the backup of win2000 server desperately. About your other 2 media server sharing library please use SAN SSO license with same version of BE2012 and configure the jobs from scratch for your server. Do remember SAN SSO license is paid option so contact your reseller or account manager to get hold of pricing and licensing details. Finally this would help you to manage this well and with new approach of BE2012 which is server centric would help you to configure the jobs for each server and manage it. Please check the white paper for licensing in BE2012, with enterprise option of BE2012 you can install CASO MMS and SAN SSO to manage your two media server with BE2012 installed. http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/other_resources/backup_exec_licensing_guide_21223660.en-us.pdf Hope that helps. Thanks

teiva-boy
Level 6

I would virtualize the Win2k servers, and just backup the VMDK's.  Do you have a virtual infrastructure (e.g. Hyper-V or Vmware, etc) ?

Compatibility issue solved.  Backups can cocntinue that route, and you can just restore the VM as needed. No OS support needed.

Ryan_H_
Level 4

There is no virtual setup there, best is that i can install 2012 with seprate catalog but the problem comes when sharing the library, it gives issues because both servers has their own catalog.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Not sure what you want to suggest here ,issue is both server has there own catalogs. As said with enterprise option of BE2012 you can use CASO MMS set up with SAN SSO for shared library between 2 server and in CASO MMS you have option to keep you catalog centrally or on each sever. Thanks