cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 and Exchange 2003 Issue

clovett
Level 4

I am running Backup Exec 2012 and am trying to backup my Exchange 2003 server.  It looks like the Full backup completes successfully but when I try to do a Incremental job the next day I receive this error,

V-79-57344-862 - The Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange was not used to create the last full b...

So I go back and look at the Job History for the Full backup and for the First Storage Group for the Agent used it is showing No.   So now I go to the Job Log and under the First Storage Group it shows Microsoft Exchange Server Agent: Started   and I see nothing else referring to the Exchange Agent.  So I am totally confused why this is not working correctly.  Any thoughts??  Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Create a new backup job for full followed by an incremental & ensure AOFO is not checked

clovett
Level 4

VJware should AOFO not be checked for Exchange backup jobs in general or is this a troubleshooting step?

VJware
Level 6

AOFO is not to be checked for Exchange jobs

clovett
Level 4

Great I will try that and see what happens.  Thanks!

hostpond
Not applicable

I just wanted to back this up.  I was having the same problem.

I did NOT have to recreate the backup within Backup Exec 2012.  I simply had to modify the existing job and disable the AOFO snapshot feature.  Once I reran the full backup, then the incremental seems to have worked without this error.

Granted I have only tested an immediate incremental to run only 10 minutes or so after the full.  But I'm keeping it posisitive in expectation that this will have fixed my problem going forward.

Thanks to VJware for the tip.

jmiles
Level 4

Are there any Symantec documents that detail why disabling AOFO for Exchange 2003 is necessary?

I ran into the same problem as this topic, however when I disable AOFO, my Exchange 2003 backup goes from 1500 MB/min down to 200 MB/min, which isn't acceptable.

Colin_Weaver

Actually ignoring any inability to do an incremental backup and looking at the concept of AOFO and Exchange there are huge limitations when it comes to restroe options if Snapshot backups (= AOFO) and Exchange 2003 are in use.

Hence it has always been recommended to not use AOFO with Exchange 2003 and therefore split file system data into a separate job if you need AOFO on the files.

Note: Exchnage 2007 and 2010 do not have the same snapshot limitaions and the 2003 limitration itself is a Microsoft Limitation, not a Backup Exec one.

jmiles
Level 4

Thanks Colin. Is it expected to see a drastic slowdown for Exchange with AOFO and GRT disabled?

Jeff

Tech_Support_4
Level 3

Did it resolve, can post the step for resolution.

Can you update the thread with your experience.

Colin_Weaver

Assuming you have still got the whole of the Exchange server selected, you might see a slow down against the File System and System State parts of the Backup with AOFO enabled. As such if you split the job into Exchange Information Stores with AOFO disabled and everything else with AOFO enabled you might see that the overall performance is better. 

jmiles
Level 4

At this point I'm backing up just the Information Stores, and find that the backup is significantly slower with both AOFO and GRT disabled.

Sush---
Level 6

Refer to this technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/S:TECH170452 : The Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange was not used to create the last full backup of this database. You must use the Exchange Agent to run a full backup before you run a differential or incremental

Thanks,

-Sush...