cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 and IBM 3572-TL Error: Request channel timeout

kradangel
Level 3

Hi, Please help.

I have backup exec 2012 and IBM 3572-TL backup tape. I've installed SP1 of backup exec and hotfix 180964, 189571, 194470, 199866, 200433. After installation and do inventory of the tape I'm receiving error: The request channel timed out while waiting for a reply after 00:09:59.9980000. Increase the timeout value passed to the call to Request or Increase the sendTimeout value on the Binding. The time alloted to this operation may have been  a portion of a longer timeout.

Whenever I do inventory of the Tape im receiving error below. I hope you can help me resolve this issue.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you receive this error only during an inventory job ? And again, only during inventory of a specific tape or every time ? Are there any errors in the event viewer ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Run the IBM diagnostic utility against the tape library.  Make sure that you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the only TN around this refers to a NAS, which you don't mention having.

Try removing the library completely from both BE and Windows, and restart the server. Run tapeinst.exe to install the drivers.

Also make sure that no firewall is blocking the BE services, and if so, either open those ports up or put in exclusions.

Thanks!

kradangel
Level 3

Hi. I had run BE Tool. These are the error.

CraigV

For the error above, check the TN:

backup exec database (bedb) schema does not match the installed version

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH164739

did you perhaps upgrade from a previous version? If so, it looks like it didn't complete successfully!

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I have seen other reports of this error.  basically, something went wrong internally to BE and it timed out after 10 minutes.

My hunch is that this is not a hardware issue.

kradangel
Level 3

Tried to run the command above. Here's the result:

[SQL Native Client]Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL
Server [2].
[SQL Native Client]Login timeout expired
[SQL Native Client]An error has occurred while establishing a connection to
the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by
the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
connections.

kradangel
Level 3

I also run BE Utility and then run Diagnostic Tool and still received the 5 error above. When I test run backup job, it has no error, however, when run Inventory of the tape still got the Request Channel Timeout error,

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

From start -run, type cliconfg... Enable Named Pipes & TCP/IP...restart the SQL service & retry.

CraigV

...do you have any jobs configured, and have any of them run? If not, then you can use BEutility.exe to drop your existing database and load from base...this gives you a clean BEDB. Try running your task again that currently gives you your error.

If you already have jobs that have run, then you can still do the above, but you need to grab a copy of bedb.bak first...follow the TN below to do so, and then reload the bedb.bak once your testing is complete...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77440

Just grab a copy to a different location...this will indicate any possible corruption in the BEDB.