cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 and external USB drives configuration.

jgolden73
Level 2

Hello,

My setup is that I have 10 identical external hard drives that I use to copy my backups to and take offsite.  All drives are recogized by windows and mapped to the same drive letter.  In 2010 BE we created backup to disk folders for each drive.  Then disabled and enabled the proper folder for that weeks backups.  This usually required a restart of the services so there was no errors, but I got used to it, and it worked.

I have now moved from Backup Exec 2010 to 2012.  I have read the Administrators Guide, and it is of no help.  As it doesn't reference this scenario.  When I first migrated it made all my backup-to-folder devices "legacy" and "read only".  So I could no longer back up to them.  According to the documentation USB attached hard drives are treated like discs.  There only seems to be one problem, BE cannot tell the difference between my disks!  I am guessing the drive letter is how BE determines I have installed another drive.  However they all map to the same drive letter. So when I change my drive it puts the old same HD storage device online.

Maybe I am missing a concept.  Should I just continue to rotate the drive and let BE think it is the same drive?!  Doesn't sound right.

I was a little miffed in 2010 because BE didn't consider this scenario and we had to work around it.  Supossedly 2012 was going to be better.  But it appears it is worse.

Any help?

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi James,

I think you should take a look at an excellent article by the other TA on the BE forums, pkh. Read through it and I am sure it will point you in the right direction:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks-be-2012

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi James,

I think you should take a look at an excellent article by the other TA on the BE forums, pkh. Read through it and I am sure it will point you in the right direction:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-rotate-external-harddisks-be-2012

Thanks!

jgolden73
Level 2

Awesome! Thanks Craig!

When I searched I could not find that information.  As well, when I called tech support they had no clue what to do.  Like this was a unique idea that only applied to me.

That was exactly what I was looking for.yes