cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 compatibility with Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2

Stylax
Level 4

Hi,

We have a bunch of servers running Windows Server 2008 R2, one of which is our BE 2012 SP4 media server.

We also have several Windows Server 2012, one running as a DC ie AD/DHCP/DNS and another running Exchange Server 2010 SP3.

And we also have a bunch of Windows Server 2012 R2 running as SQL servers and various other applications, Microsoft Business Dynamics etc

Currently we have the BE 2012 SP4 backing up all of them onto Ultrium tape and it seems to be working OK regards targetting the servers and backing them up via agents.

I am aware though that BE 2012 SP4 doesn't support Windows Server 2012 R2.

Where am I going to come unstuck regards wanting to do recovery of these servers ?

Will I be able to do a bare metal restore for the Windows Server 2012 DC and Exchange Server from the BE 2012 SP4 server ?

Can I do anything other than flat file restore via the agents on the Windows Server 2012 R2 boxes ?

Seems that Symantec seem to have been in the wilderness this last year or so regards Windows Server 2012 R2 ?

I see that there is now BE 2014 and also that there is now a BE 15 just released.

Am I really going to need to upgrade to these products if I want to do full server recovery for all of my servers ?

Mike.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Short answer, yes. You need to upgrade to BE 15

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Short answer, yes. You need to upgrade to BE 15

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have a look @ this KB - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH196108.html

Per this KB, BE 2012 does not support Windows 2012 R2. And it supports Windows 2012 with limitations such as it does not support Simplified Disaster Recovery (SDR) for Win 2012.

Will I be able to do a bare metal restore for the Windows Server 2012 DC and Exchange Server from the BE 2012 SP4 server ?

- Nopes, as SDR for Win 2012 isn't supported with BE 2012

Can I do anything other than flat file restore via the agents on the Windows Server 2012 R2 boxes ?

- Nopes. And with a unsupported OS, you can't even be sure if a flat-file restore will work or not.