cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 doesn't send email notifications

phoneexpert
Level 2

Backup exec isn't sending email notifications anymore. I have checked all of backup execs email/notification settings, and have compared them to another server that we have backup exec on, and that is working.

Seemed to have happened over night. It was working one day then the next it stopped.

I captured a log from the debug monitor while sending a test email. It says it failed to send the mail, mentions our mail servers ip and port which is correct. Besides that I don't understand anything else on the log file.

Please see the attached log file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This usually happens if a needed port is blocked or in use by another app. For further isolation, consider testing notifications using this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH22965

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

lmosla
Level 6

Hello phoneepert,

Have you tried sending a test notification? 

Here is a great troubleshooting article Troubleshooting Email Notifications in Backup Exec

phoneexpert
Level 2

hello imsla,

I'm not sure if you read my post. Seems you are just going through the motions of replying. But i did fail to mention that i was sending the test notifications while running the backup exec debug monitor. Before I posted here i came accrose that article. Followed the instructions up to where it asks you to find,

"notify return code"

I was unable to find that code in the log report so I was unable to do a search for it like the artical suggests.

More or less i was hoping someone could look over the log file and give me some insight.

lmosla
Level 6

It looks like you are running Symantec Endpoint Protection.  Have you excluded the Backup Exec processes on the Media server and remote server?  As a test try disabling it.

phoneexpert
Level 2
I am not running Symantec endpoint protection. it is not even installed on the server that backup exec runs on, or on any of our servers/devices. I'm not sure what you mean by excluding the backup exec process. If you mean by ending the process/service and the restarting them, that has already been tried as well as a server reboot.

Stone_Shih
Level 2
Partner Accredited

in ur log said ....

BESERVER: [01/08/14 09:47:19] [0000]     In Function MN: SendNotification SmtpException System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Failure sending mail. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions 10.1.0.214:25

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This usually happens if a needed port is blocked or in use by another app. For further isolation, consider testing notifications using this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH22965